Roanoke County Public Schools is seeking applicants for the Deputy Superintendent of Administration and Operations position for the 2024-25 school year.
Position Description/Job Summary :
The Deputy Superintendent advises principals, supervises assigned department heads, and consults with the superintendent on the daily operation of the school system. The primary areas of responsibility of the Deputy Superintendent are student discipline, student attendance, school safety and security, emergency planning and management, investigations of public complaints, policy management, Title IX compliance, nondiscrimination compliance, FOIA compliance, athletics, student database management, school district calendar, and Civil Rights reporting. The Deputy Superintendent of Administration and Operations is part of the senior leadership team for the school division and assists with strategic planning and leadership. The Deputy Superintendent of Administration and Operations supervises the staff and operations of the departments of Administrative Services, Facilities and Operations, and Printing Services.
• Advise and direct school management and operations related to students.
• Serve as chief hearing officer for student discipline.
• Facilitate school safety and emergency planning and management.
• Direct training and implementation of threat assessment protocols.
• Serve as primary liaison with Roanoke County Police and Sheriff's Office.
• Evaluate applications for student in-district transfers and out-of-district enrollment.
• Supervise student attendance reporting and concerns.
• Approve facility-use applications.
• Interpret and make recommendations regarding general policy and regulations.
• Serve as student harassment/discrimination compliance officer.
• Serve as investigative officer regarding formal public complaints.
• Serve as Freedom of Information Act compliance officer.
• Serve as VDOE report system administrator (SSWS).
• Supervise and submit annual VDOE Crime and Discipline Report.
• Secure facilities for high school graduations.
• Gather input and make recommendations regarding annual school district calendar.
• Provide training to staff on topics related to areas of responsibility or as assigned.
• Deliver presentations to the School Board as assigned.
• Assist with strategic planning for the school division.
• Supervise the Administrative Services Department and Facilities and Operations Department.
• Serve as superintendent's designee in his or her absence.
Minimum Job Requirements/Qualifications :
• Be able to perform multiple, highly complex technical tasks with a need to periodically upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions;
• Be able to problem solve and support staff in problem solving, especially in crisis situations;
• Be able to communicate effectively to implement desired actions;
• Be flexible to independently or collaboratively work with others in a wide variety of circumstances;
• Be able to analyze and interpret data to aid in decision making;
• Be able to establish professional relationships and communicate effectively with administration, faculty, and parents;
• Be able to set priorities and meet deadlines;
• Possess strong technology skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook);
• Demonstrate competent knowledge of school and special education law;
• Demonstrate knowledge of school budgeting and finance;
• Demonstrate strong written, interpersonal, and presentational communication skills in the English language.
Education and Experience:
• Master's Degree in Educational Leadership or related field required; doctorate preferred
• Certification in Administration & Supervision PK-12
• Three (3) years of experience as a building principal in a public school PK-12 setting required
• Three (3) years of experience in school district leadership preferred
• Experience using Student Information System databases preferred
These requirements are representative, but not all-inclusive of the knowledge, skill, and ability required to perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Employment Type: ["OTHER"]