$50,316.24 - $61,304.78 Annually
Clerk of Circuit Court
2/18/2024 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time (US & Canada)
GENERAL DESCRIPTION Performs difficult supervisory and technical work in the Office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court. Supervises one or more specialized functions such as probate, financing statements, criminal cases and chancery cases. Assists with office management with the ability to manage financial control and accounting operations. Exercises supervision over subordinate personnel. Performs other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS • Performs long range planning and work scheduling for area of responsibility to ensure optimum use of staff, materials, resources and funds.
• Supervises subordinates in providing services such as initiating and ending files on criminal or civil law cases, recording and indexing financing statements, recording or indexing land transactions and composing correspondence and reports.
• Assigns duties to clerks working in the courtrooms or in the Office of the Clerk
• Supervises the preparation of court orders, the custody of real evidence, and the collection and accounting for court fees and fines.
• Supervises the training of employees in court functions and procedures, and in office procedures.
• Assigns duties to clerks working in courtrooms and reviews court orders and other work performed to ensure accuracy.
• Reviews or prepares a wide variety of detailed correspondence and reports.
• Based on research and experience interprets or explains complex legal or procedural matters, dealing directly with judges, attorneys and the general public.
• Assists jury commissioners and judges in selecting prospective jurors, notifies the Sheriff of jurors selected, and briefs jurors on duties.
Required : High school diploma or equivalent supplemented by business school or college level courses or training in business administration or a related field.
Required : Considerable experience at the level of a Deputy Circuit Court Clerk IV or equivalent experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of the Circuit Court system and its operation.
• Thorough knowledge of standard office procedures and terminology.
• General knowledge of automated recordkeeping systems, bookkeeping and budgeting procedures.
• Ability to operate and instruct others on t he operation of a variety of office equipment including personal computers, computerized cash register, video recording equipment and microfilming equipment.
• Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with the public, attorneys, judges and other employees.
• Ability to understand and explain complex portions of the Code of Virginia as it pertains to the Clerk’s Office.
• Ability to plan, assign and supervise the work of subordinates in the courtroom and the Clerk's Office.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of information handled within the office.
Subject to a complete criminal history and Child Protective Services background search with acceptable results. Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.
Supervises a section within the office consisting of two to four employees.
OTHER INFORMATION OVERALL PHYSICAL STRENGTH DEMAND
Lift and/or exert force up to 10 lbs. occasionally or insignificant weights frequently; sitting most of the time.
C = Continuously
5.5 to 8+ hours daily
F = Frequently
2.5 to 5.5 hours daily
O = Occasionally
Up to 2.5 hours daily
R = Rarely
Less than 1 hour per week
N = Never
Vision (Correction Required)
Foot Controls (driving, operation of equip, etc.)
D = Daily
W = Several Times Per Week
M = Several Times Per Month
S = Seasonally
R - Rarely
N = Never
Health and Safety
Dirt and Dust
Noise and Vibration
Fumes and Odors
Darkness or Poor Lighting
PRIMARY WORK LOCATION
MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, WORK AIDS
Personal computer, copier, fax, microfilming equipment, cash register and other standard office equipment
PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIRED