Apply now Back to search results Job no: 528452
Work type: Research Faculty
Senior management: Vice President for Research
Department: Fralin Biomedical Res. Institute
Location: Roanoke, Virginia
Categories: Research / Scientific
A Research Scientist position to be filled at the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute (FBRI) in the lab of Dr. Wynn Legon. This work will focus on NIH-funded projects exploring the use of low-intensity focused ultrasound (LIFU) for human neuromodulation applications. Several projects, including specific applications of LIFU for mechanistic understanding and potential treatment of conditions such as depression, anxiety, addiction, pain and autism are available and required. The position is well suited for an individual interested in human neuroscience and disease states and non-invasive methods to probe human-brain mechanisms and circuitry. Techniques used include LIFU, EEG, fMRI, QST, physiological measures such as heart-rate and HRV, electrodermal response and blood pressure, TMS and behavioral outcomes. Furthermore, this position will be delegated leadership roles in developing pilot research programs and grant proposals, as well as authorship of original research and review articles in areas of human non-invasive brain stimulation and anxiety, autism, pain, addiction and depression.
1. Research Conceptualization and collaboration with the PI in the design of experiments and grant proposal methodology as well as methods for analyzing the results of experiments.
2. Research Publications, including preparation of text, tables, and graphical information as appropriate for dissemination in peer reviewed publications, or presentation at professional conferences or in book chapters.
3. Data Analysis that involves data management, analyzing the data, and transforming the results into findings appropriate for dissemination in peer reviewed publications or conference presentations or in formats that engender further analyses.
4. Experimental Project Leadership that includes training and supervising research personnel to organize and conduct experiments and analysis.
5. Research strategy development to organize and integrate preliminary data into rationale for new aims and prepare grant proposals to obtain sponsored funding.
• PhD in neuroscience, psychology, biomedical engineering, kinesiology or appropriate related discipline
• Record of research excellence as indicated by peer reviewed publications and presentations.
• Possess a solid background in neuroscience, biological psychology and/or human neuroscience and neuroscience techniques (e.g. EEG, fMRI or TMS).
Commensurate with experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Brittany Shelton at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: February 5, 2024
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend