How You’ll Help Transform Healthcare:
Welcome to a promising future with this unique career opportunity. At Carilion Clinic, our team accurate medical record documentation in a forward-thinking environment. You will thrive through extensive training, supportive leaders and potential for advancement. Carilion offers comprehensive benefits, paid time off, and tuition options. Join a team where your skills and ideas will make a difference in the health of our patients and the communities we live in.
The Coder position reviews clinical documentation and diagnostic results on Ambulatory records as appropriate to extract data and applies appropriate ICD-10 CM and CPT-4 codes for billing, internal and external reporting, research, and regulatory compliance.
The job duties of the Coder include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Coordinates resolution of discrepancies in clinical charge coding through Revenue Auditor Division of Revenue Cycle Management.
• Consults with physicians to improve or clarify medical record documentation for complete, accurate and compliant coding.
• Extracts required information from source documentation and enters into encoder.
• Identifies and reconciles patients' pre-surgical and post-surgical visits with their Outpatient Diagnostic Accounts and appropriately combine the coding and billing of the accounts.
• Maintains working knowledge of 3M CRS, 3M 360 Encompass, 3M Standalone, and Cornerstone and Elsevier software.
• Assist in implementing solutions to reduce back-end billing errors.
• Maintains knowledge of Federal and Private Sector coding and billing requirements as they apply to the Ambulatory Surgery setting.
• May assist with Outpatient Diagnostic Coding or Emergency dept. coding as needed.
What We Require:
Education: High School education required: college degree preferred. Medical Terminology and Physiology Anatomy required.
Experience: The successful internal candidate for Ambulatory Surgery will have a minimum of 1.5 years combined experience in Outpatient and ED Coding, with a consistent accuracy rating of 96% or better. External Candidates must have previous Outpatient, ED experience, with prior Ambulatory Surgery experience referred. Basic computer skills required .Experience in ICD10 and CPT coding; and
Licensure/Certification: RHIT, RHIA, CPC, CCA, CCS, or CPC-H required. CPC-A Accepted for this opening.
This is Carilion Clinic ...
An organization where innovation happens, collaboration is expected and ideas are valued. A not-for-profit, mission-driven health system built on progress and partnerships. A courageous team that is always learning, never discouraged and forever curious.
Headquartered in Roanoke, Va., you will find a robust system of award winning hospitals, Level 1 and 3 trauma centers, Level 3 NICU, Institute of Orthopedics and Neurosciences, multi-specialty physician practices, and The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute.
Carilion is where you can make your own path, make new discoveries and, most importantly, make a difference. Here, in a place where the air is clean, people are kind and life is good. Make your tomorrow with us.
Requisition Number: 144932
Employment Status: Full time
Location: CASB - Carilion Administrative Services Building
Shift Details: M-F 8am-4:30; OT as needed
Recruiter Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, contact the HR Service Center at 1-800-599-2537.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Carilion Clinic is a drug-free workplace.