How You’ll Help Transform Healthcare:
A RT Sleep Technician works under the general supervision of the medical director (MD, DO, PhD) or designee to provide comprehensive evaluation and treatment of sleep disorders including in center and out of center sleep testing, diagnostic and therapeutic interventions, comprehensive patient care and direct patient education. The RT Technician must work with a registered/board certified polysomnographic technologist and can offer some guidance/supervision of sleep technicians (sleep tech I). RT sleep technician must be enrolled or enroll in an accredited sleep technology education program (i.e. ASTEP) within 30 days of hire. RT sleep technicians can be hired into the Sleep Tech II position to compensate them appropriately for their current RT certification and with the understanding that an RPSGT certification must be obtained within 6-8 months of hire and be Virginia Board Certified within 18 months of hire. The RT Sleep Technician will not earn the title of sleep technologist until both RPSGT and VA Board of Medicine license are obtained. Once these certifications/licensures are obtained, the RT Sleep Technician will be promoted to a Respiratory Sleep Technologist position (sleep tech III).
A polysomnographic technologist works under the general supervision of the medical director (MD, DO, PhD) or designee to provide comprehensive evaluation and treatment of sleep disorders including in center and out of center sleep testing, diagnostic and therapeutic interventions, comprehensive patient care and direct patient education. A sleep technologist is able to perform the duties defined for a sleep technician and is able to provide oversight of other sleep center staff. The sleep technologist is credentialed in sleep technology.
• Collect, analyze and integrate patient information in order to identify and meet the patient-specific needs (physical/mental limitations, current emotional/physiological status regarding the testing procedure, pertinent medical/social history), and to determine final testing parameters/procedures in conjunction with the ordering physician or clinical director and laboratory protocols.
• Review patient’s history, verify the medical order and follow sleep facility protocols related to the sleep study
• When patient arrives, verify identification, collect documents and obtain consent for the study.
• Explain the procedure and orient the patient for either in center or home sleep apnea testing.
• Select appropriate equipment and calibrate for testing to determine proper functioning and make adjustments, if necessary.
• Apply electrodes and sensors according to accepted published standards.
• Perform routine positive airway pressure (PAP) interface fitting and desensitization.
• Perform appropriate physiological calibrations to ensure proper signals and make required adjustments.
• Prepare and instruct patient in both in laboratory studies and home sleep apnea testing.
• Follow procedural protocols
• Perform data acquisition while monitoring study-tracing quality to ensure signals are artifact free. Identify, correct and document artifact.
• Documents routine observations, including sleep stages and clinical events, changes in procedure, and other significant events in order to facilitate scoring and interpretation of polysomnographic results.
• Polysomnographic Record Scoring
• Score sleep/wake stages by applying professionally accepted guidelines.
• Generate accurate reports by tabulating sleep/wake and clinical event data.
• Demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to perform portable monitoring equipment preparation and data download.
• Perform patient education and instruction appropriate for out of center sleep testing.
What We Require:
Education: Successful completion of an accredited educational program leading to a certificate or an Associate's degree with an emphasis in sleep technology OR Successful completion of a sleep technology program associated with a state licensed and/or nationally accredited educational facility or equivalent experience and documented proficiency at all competencies required of a sleep technician. And Certification by a nationally recognized certification board and holds Sleep Tech Credentials: Registered Polysomnographic Technologist (RPSGT) and would consider Registered Sleep Technologist (RST) or Sleep Disorders Specialist (SDS) credential.
Experience: Work in AASM accredited sleep center for one year preferred or current RT certification with plans to work towards credentialing in sleep technology.
Licensure, certification, and/or registration: Virginia State License for Polysomnographic Technologist & RPSGT by the Board of Polysomnographic Technologists (would consider RST by American Board of Sleep Medicine or SDS by The National Board for Respiratory Care) required OR RT certification by the Virginia Board of Medicine. Enrolled in accredited Sleep Technology educational program (ex. ASTEP) within 30 days of hire. Completion of sleep technology educational program must be done within 6-8 months of hire. Virginia Board of Medicine license must be obtained for RPSGT certification within 18 months of hire.
Life Support: Must obtain/maintain AHA BLS-HCP certification.
Other Minimum Qualifications: Demonstrates computer skills appropriate for the position. Demonstrates effective written and verbal communication skills. Demonstrates appropriate social and customer service skills. Demonstrates critical thinking, ability follow directions and work with minimal supervision. Demonstrates teamwork skills. Follow HIPPA policies to maintain the privacy and security of patient information.
This is Carilion Clinic ...
An organization where innovation happens, collaboration is expected and ideas are valued. A not-for-profit, mission-driven health system built on progress and partnerships. A courageous team that is always learning, never discouraged and forever curious.
Headquartered in Roanoke, Va., you will find a robust system of award winning hospitals, Level 1 and 3 trauma centers, Level 3 NICU, Institute of Orthopedics and Neurosciences, multi-specialty physician practices, and The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute.
Carilion is where you can make your own path, make new discoveries and, most importantly, make a difference. Here, in a place where the air is clean, people are kind and life is good. Make your tomorrow with us.
Requisition Number: 141056
Employment Status: Full time
Location: Carilion Clinic Sleep Center
Shift Details: Generally Wednesday - Friday 6:30p - 7:30am
Recruiter: REBECCA MINOR
Recruiter Phone: 540-983-4005
Recruiter Email: Rminor@carilionclinic.org
For more information, contact the HR Service Center at 1-800-599-2537.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Carilion Clinic is a drug-free workplace.