Our operation is simple – we manufacture tires. But at Yokohama Tire Manufacturing Virginia (YTMV), we see it as moving the world. From the race track to Main Street, we put our customer’s destination at the heart of our work, ensuring the millions of tires we produce annually exceed expectations in quality, safety, and environmental consciousness. Rooted in Salem since 1989, we have a history of excellence in both our products and our people.
We’re searching for a future Mechanical Engineer who is eager to get a first-hand look at engineering in a manufacturing environment. As a Mechanical Engineer Intern, you will work side-by-side with several experienced engineers on various projects with the goal of improving safety, environmental, quality, cost, delivery, and human aspects (SEQDCH).
To be considered for this role, here are the skills we are looking for:
• Ambitious student studying Mechanical Engineering at an accredited university or college
• Exceptional problem-solving skills and the ability to convey solutions in a clear and concise manner
• Experience with or knowledge of budgets as they relate to project management
• Strong interest in receiving a hands-on internship with varying level of responsibility through different assignments
• Excitement about, and comfort around, industrial machinery, troubleshooting, and mechanical tinkering
• Initiative to work at the highest level as to not compromise quality or safety
• Previous co-op or internship experience in a manufacturing environment or Mechanical Engineering role, preferred
• Availability to work Monday – Friday, 7:30am – 4:30pm majority of late May – early August
As the Mechanical Engineering Intern, you will work directly with the Plant Engineering Manger and fellow Mechanical Engineers on new and established projects that are critical to the production process. Projects for this semester might include:
• Developing a fencing safety mechanism for the mixing department
• Installing laser scanners on take-away conveyors to detect jams
• Map out and update main air piping schematic, plus make recommendations for leak prevention
• Work alongside other engineers on existing capital projects throughout the plant
• Developing internal relationships to facilitate the completion of engineering projects
YTMV is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team that is accepting and respectful of all backgrounds, perspectives, and skills sets. We celebrate diversity in the workplace, knowing it allows us to be at our best for our products, our customers, and our community. Our tires are unique, our people should be too. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourage all applicants who share in our values to apply.