Dotson Iron Castings is seeking a Senior Cost Accountant to join our Finance Team!
Dotson Iron Castings is a leader in the metal casting industry and our success is based upon our strong core values of integrity, focusing on results, innovation, and valuing people. We have a strong commitment to exceeding our customers’ expectations through our ability to be agile. Your career at Dotson will involve developing technical skills, mastering technologies, and discovering opportunity for growth.
The Senior Cost Accountant is responsible for maintaining the general ledger, records, and financial reports, and performing financial analyses of operations, operational costs, capital, and continuous improvement project tracking. Daily work aligns with the company’s operating principles of safety, leadership, accountability, excellence, trust, teamwork, communications, and environment.
• Manages cost accounting function to include gross margin analysis, customer profitability reporting, overheads, and variance analysis.
• Assists with general accounting functions relating to month-end close, financial statement reviews, and preparation of audit workpapers.
• Reconciles accounts for month-end, quarter-end, and year-end financial statements.
• Performs variance analysis and maintains overhead rates and calculations.
• Monitors and analyzes trends in spending to make recommendations and identify savings opportunities.
• Manages Fixed Asset project tracking and coordinates the capitalization process.
• Assists in the preparation of company budgets.
• Assists management with capital and income statement forecasts for upcoming periods.
• Provides management with information vital to the decision-making process.
• Protects assets by monitoring and enforcing internal controls, policies, and procedures, implementing changes when necessary.
• Actively promotes and ensures a safe working environment, ensuring all employees are working safely and following safety rules.
• Offers suggestions for improvements of operations or processes.
• Attends work during regularly scheduled hours and outside regular hours as necessary.
• Communicates and interacts effectively and efficiently with other employees, supervisors, individuals from other organizations, and customers.
• Performs physical and cognitive demands promoting safety in the work environment required for this position.
• Performs other related work and projects as assigned.
• Participates in professional staff development.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field
• Experience with Microsoft Office with Microsoft PowerBI preferred.
• Experience with enterprise ERP systems with AS400-based accounting systems preferred.
• Demonstrated experience with accounting principles and practices.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• 5+ years of related job experience.
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA), or Master in Accountancy (MAcc) preferred.
• Ability to enforce company policies and work independently.
Conditions of Employment
• Must successfully pass a pre-employment assessment, drug screen, and background check.
• Must comply with organizational and departmental policies including but not limited to a smoke and tobacco free property.
Cognitive and Physical Demands
• Activities that occur extensively (more than 6 hours) are sitting.
• Activities that occur frequently (from 4 to 6 hours) are fine manipulating, talking, hearing, using near vision, peripheral vision, using analytical ability, problem solving, verbally communicating, interpersonal skills, concentrating, and working with interruptions.
• Activities that occur occasionally (from 1 to 3 hours) are standing, walking, reaching below shoulder level individually or at the same time, communicating in writing, organizational skills, and using creativity.
• Activities that occur infrequently (up to 60 minutes) are climbing staircase, reaching above and at shoulder level individually and at the same time, using far vision, depth perception, visual accommodation, and color vision.
Must be able to operate all equipment required of this position in the foundry including but not limited to general office equipment. Requires incumbent to work inside, outside, on uneven ground, on slippery surfaces, alone, with others, around others, and have contact with customers. Incumbent may be exposed to dust, fumes, noise, excessive noise, vibration, pressurized equipment, burning material, moving objects, heat, extreme heat, and marked changes in temperature.