Botetourt County Public Schools
JOB CLASS: Custodian
POSITIONS: (Head Custodian - 12/260/8)
( Custodian Full Time - 12/260/8, 10/180/8) ( Custodian Part-Time - 10/180/3, 10/180/4)
FLSA STATUS: Non- Exempt
SALARY RANGE: $27,930 to $51,323
Perform responsible skilled work in the care and cleaning of school buildings. The custodial service is an important service to a school. The instructional program of our children is significantly affected by clean buildings - neat in appearance both inside and out. The head custodian is to assist in the care and cleaning of a school building and also see that all cleaning and routine maintenance duties are performed properly.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.)
• Clean the cafeteria after each lunch bell, clean tables, realign chairs, mop cafeteria.
• Pick-up paper and trash in bathrooms and hallways, clean up spills such as vomit and other mistakes which come from children or other adults.
• Pick-up paper and trash around school and grounds.
• Dump trash in classrooms, clean chalkboards everyday, sweep the floors of the classrooms, dust each room high and low, and set classrooms back up for the next day.
• Wash off desks for students and teachers, move classroom desks and tables from one part of the school to another, which sometimes is either up or down stairs.
• Set up for PTA in cafeteria, auditorium, library and set them back up for the next day.
• Set up for special events and meetings.
• Vacuum floors, shampoo carpets, wash walls, fix lockers.
• Clean rooms once after school programs are finished.
• Wash windows, wash off graffiti.
• Mop bathrooms after cleaning the bathroom stalls.
• Mop and wax hallway and classrooms floors.
• Secure and lock all classrooms and outside doors at the end of the school day.
• Clean teacher's lounge.
• Perform related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Some knowledge of cleaning methods, materials and equipment; ability to understand and follow simple oral and written directions; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and school staff; ability to read.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma/GED. Some custodial experience preferred.
A comparable amount of training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
Significant standing, walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling,
reaching, handling, pushing, and pulling. Ability to lift 50 lbs.
Last Update: November 2023
Primary Location Buchanan Elementary School Salary Range $27,930.00 - $51,323.00 / Per Year Shift Type Full-Time