Certified Special Agent I -Lateral
Salary Statewide: $71,400
Join A Team Crafted of Virginia's Top Shelf Talent!
Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority is recruiting for qualified (DCJS) Department of Criminal Justice Services Certified Virginia Law Enforcement applicants for the position of Certified Virginia ABC Special agent I.
The statewide salary for the Certified Special agent I will be $71,400. All candidates will be hired as Law Enforcement III/Special agent I.
V irginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority is seeking Certified Virginia ABC Special agents in the following locations:
Region 1: Roanoke
Region 1: Satellite, Abingdon
Region 2: Lynchburg
Region 3: Staunton
Region 5: Fredericksburg
Region 6: Richmond
Region 7: Hampton
Region 8: Chesapeake - For Eastern Shore Area- Must currently reside in the Eastern Shore
Region 9: Charlottesville
Applicants must provide up to three counties/cities where they are willing to accept assignment or indicate willingness for duty assignments. The Authority will make every effort to assign hires to the preferred locations based on Authority needs.
Three time recipient of Bureau of Law Enforcement Receives NLLEA Award (2020, 2017 and 2002) • Are you looking for flexibility and work-life balance?
• Are you tired of shift work or rotating shifts?
• No shift work - normal workdays are Monday-Friday, however some weekends, on call and holidays may be deemed necessary to complete investigations and/or special assignments.
• Candidates receive a take home car, equipment and uniforms upon hire
• Robust Career Progression Program
• Robust Tuition Reimbursement up to $5,000.00 per fiscal year for graduate and undergraduate courses
Virginia ABC generates a reliable stream of revenue for Virginia and promotes public safety through the responsible sale and regulation of alcoholic beverages.
To bring good spirits and excellent service to Virginia.
Accountability - Service -Integrity - Performance Excellence
We offer :
• Excellent work/life balance
• Average work week is 40 hours
• 14 paid holidays and PTO earned every 2 weeks worked
• Affordable healthcare with employer contributions; See benefits package
• Virginia Retirement System (VRS)/VALORS benefits
• College Tuition Reimbursement program
Authority employees continue to be covered under the Commonwealth's benefits and VRS. However, Authority employees are exempt from the Virginia Personnel Act and the Virginia Public Procurement Act. To find out more about Virginia ABC visit our website: https://www.abc.virginia.gov/about/agency-overview.
Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority Special agents provide specialized law enforcement services for the Commonwealth of Virginia enforcing criminal law and regulations of the Virginia ABC Board governing the manufacture, sales and use of alcoholic beverages.
• Specific duties include: Initiating, planning and conducting moderate to complex investigations, making arrests for violations of alcohol, tobacco, narcotics, fraud and financial fraud statutes, testifying in state and federal courts and serving as an Agency advocate.
• Additional duties involve preparing and presenting disciplinary cases to Virginia ABC hearing officers and performing special assignments such as instructor, electronic surveillance technician or becoming a member of a local, state or federal task force.
• Conducting inspections of ABC licensed businesses to ensure compliance with required statutes and regulations.
• Educating and informing ABC licensees, other government entities and the public at large on the subject ABC laws and regulations.
• Providing support to local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies as required.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
• Must be at least 21 years of age on date of hire
• Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) Law Enforcement Officer -police officer certification with prior experience as a sworn police officer
• Working knowledge of law enforcement procedures/practices and business law practices
• Experience employing investigative methods and techniques
• Experience obtaining, compiling, analyzing and presenting relevant evidence to management, prosecutors and criminal/administrative courts
• Experience with the use of a personal computer and Microsoft Office: Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, Word
• Experience using defensive techniques and firearms
• Ability to possess a valid license to operate a motor vehicle
• The demonstrated ability to work independently, and communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Ability to analyze complex and voluminous information
• Ability to reconstruct business records/audit trails
• Public speaking and presentation skills
• Time management skills
• An undergraduate degree in Criminal Justice, Business or Public Administration, Accounting, Finance, Sociology or a related field.
• Having served previously as a Special agent
• 3.5 GPA or higher
• Master's Degree
• CFE, Certified Fraud Examiner
• CPA, Certified Public Accountant
As an expedited hiring process, various documents may be requested during the hiring process which may include:
• A completed notarized Authorization of Release Form
• A Pre-employment questionnaire
All VA DCJS Certified Officers will be required to attend 4-6 weeks of training in Richmond and a minimum of 12 weeks of field training.
• All applicants must be eligible to obtain a valid driver's license by time of employment, pass a thorough background investigation to include credit history check and perform all essential job functions.
• Applicants must also meet vision requirements of no more than 20/200 uncorrected vision in either eye, able to meet requirements for a color vision test and successfully complete a medical examination, polygraph and psychological evaluation.
**Selected candidates will have successfully completed a detailed background investigation which includes good character & reputation, educational achievements, prior work experience and credit history as established by the background investigation but is not limited to a polygraph examination, medical examination, psychological evaluation and police record.
Virginia ABC's Bureau of Law Enforcement does have a career progression plan in place and Special agents may be eligible for salary increases upon successful completion of the career progression periods.
Compensation and Hours
Salary Range: $71,400.00 (minimum) Not Applicable Benefits Provided: Not Available Other Benefits: Not Available Full or Part Time: Full Time (30 Hours or More) Job Duration: Over 150 Days Type of Job: Regular
Hours per Week:
View what local employers are paying Detectives and Criminal Investigators