How You’ll Help Transform Healthcare:
Provides day to day staffing in an outpatient clinic setting, both clinically and administratively, depending on the need of the practice. Accountable for performing all responsbilities of the HAA as well as clinical assistant responsibilities as appropriate based on training, education, and competency.
• Creates a positive experience for our patients by welcoming and assisting the patient as they move throughout the clinic.
• Performs HAA job duties, as detailed in the HAA job description.
• Performs Clinical Assistant job duties, as detailed in the Clinical Assistant job description.
• Performs waived and other testing inhouse based upon equipment available, documented training and competency.
• Must be able to maintain laboratory without supervision.
• Obtains patient specimen using appropriate equipment and technique.
• Verifies patient identification and order ensuring accuracy.
• Reviews pertinent patient history associated with blood draws.
• Assess most appropriate blood draw site, selecting gauge needle, site preparation and appropriate pressure after venipuncture.
• Observes safety regulations and universal precautions in collection, processing, and disposal of laboratory specimens.
• Prepares samples for transport to reference laboratories ensuring all specimens are properly labeled and order matches specimen.
• Reports abnormal or critical results to the appropriate physician/ACP or clinical team member.
• Cleaning, maintaining, performing QC's and calibrating laboratory equipment within the practice and as appropriate to education and training. Reports equipment malfunctions to the practice manager or designee. Maintains required COLA and CLIA documents.
• Maintains neat, clean and well stocked work area; assist with ordering, dating, and sorting laboratory supplies.
What We Require:
Education: High school diploma or equivalent required.
Experience: One year experience in physician office laboratory preferred.
Licensure, certification, and/or registration:
Phlebotomy certification required at time of hire or within one year from date of hire; certified nursing assistant preferred by some practices.VC will require employee to obtain federal drug screen collector credential and federal breath alcohol technician certification within 6 months of hire.
Life Support: AHA BLS-HCP required within first 90 days of hire.
Other Minimum Qualifications: Effective interpersonal, communication, and team-work skills required. Must have keen attention to detail, superb dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Must be organized and self-motivated. Must become proficient in use of electronic medical record, clinical and clerical office procedures and equipment. Clerical, medical terminology knowledge preferred.
This is Carilion Clinic ...
An organization where innovation happens, collaboration is expected and ideas are valued. A not-for-profit, mission-driven health system built on progress and partnerships. A courageous team that is always learning, never discouraged and forever curious.
Headquartered in Roanoke, Va., you will find a robust system of award winning hospitals, Level 1 and 3 trauma centers, Level 3 NICU, Institute of Orthopedics and Neurosciences, multi-specialty physician practices, and The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute.
Carilion is where you can make your own path, make new discoveries and, most importantly, make a difference. Here, in a place where the air is clean, people are kind and life is good. Make your tomorrow with us.
Requisition Number: 142194
Employment Status: Full time
Location: VelocityCare - Roanoke
Shift: Variable Hours
Shift Details: Varying hours 8a-11p Sun-Sat, EOW
Recruiter: REBECCA MINOR
Recruiter Phone: 540-983-4005
Recruiter Email: Rminor@carilionclinic.org
For more information, contact the HR Service Center at 1-800-599-2537.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Carilion Clinic is a drug-free workplace.