How You’ll Help Transform Healthcare:
Responsible for performing a variety of duties for physicians and other members of the clinical staff. Effectively manage multiple providers’ surgery schedules. Prepares surgery packets for physicians to take to surgical facilities. Consistently delivers the best in customer service and patient care. Accurately and efficiently communicates patient information as directed and provides information regarding patient to appropriate as necessary. As a team member, demonstrates respect, dignity, kindness and empathy in each encounter with patients, families, visitors and other employees.
• Constantly communicates with providers and team members regarding appointments and surgery information on specific patients. Works with department leadership to manage daily flow of activities. Owns communication changes, updates to all departments ensuring quality, efficient care is established. Works with interdisciplinary teams on a daily basis.
• Performs patient interview to assess pre-operative needs based on anesthesia and physician-specific guidelines
• Answers telephone calls, screens calls, takes messages and provides information to patients and others in a timely fashion. Works with interdisciplinary teams on a daily basis to coordinate the patient’s surgical care.
• Posts surgical case information at operating facilities. Documents patient information and distributes to key personnel in other facilities by fax, phone or email.
• Coordinates pre-/post-surgical care for patients including, but not limited to: Pre-operative appointments (lab work, medical clearance, History and Physicals, etc.), education classes, and post-operative care. Notifies patients of all surgery-related appointments in writing. Documents in patient medical record.
• Ensures proper equipment is available for surgery by contacting surgical reps, material management and case documentation.
• Manages the usage of assigned block time and communicates with other surgery schedulers to identify and release or utilize open time. Implements appropriate actions related to cancellations
• Maintains OR Utilization report for Carilion Clinic operating facilities, ambulatory surgery centers and other surgical facilities utilized by physicians
• Documents surgery or procedural information on individual physician calendars in e-mail system or as preferred by physicians. Updates demographics as needed
• Assists with the scheduling of tests and outside physicians if applicable.
• Completes authorization or works with the authorization team to ensure pre-certification is completed.
• Communicates with Financial Counselors regarding any surgeries as it applies to the process.
What We Require:
Education: High School diploma or equivalent education required. Associates or Bachelor’s degree preferred. Completion of an accredited medical secretarial or business program preferred
Experience: Health care experience preferred. Keyboarding skills are essential.
Other Minimum Qualifications:
Computer and word processing knowledge and experience required. Keyboarding skills are essential. Medical terminology preferred. Knowledge of CPT coding preferred.
Effective interpersonal, communication and teamwork skills required. Must successfully complete orientation and competency validation for position. Above average organizational skills with attention to detail in work. Strong skill in reading, writing, spelling, grammar, punctuation and mathematical calculations. Maintains composure under pressure. Diffuses tension through effective communication.
This is Carilion Clinic ...
An organization where innovation happens, collaboration is expected and ideas are valued. A not-for-profit, mission-driven health system built on progress and partnerships. A courageous team that is always learning, never discouraged and forever curious.
Headquartered in Roanoke, Va., you will find a robust system of award winning hospitals, Level 1 and 3 trauma centers, Level 3 NICU, Institute of Orthopedics and Neurosciences, multi-specialty physician practices, and The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute.
Carilion is where you can make your own path, make new discoveries and, most importantly, make a difference. Here, in a place where the air is clean, people are kind and life is good. Make your tomorrow with us.
Requisition Number: 143700
Employment Status: Full time
Location: Carilion Clinic Internal Medicine - Riverside
Shift Details: 8:00am-4:30pm
Recruiter: HAYLEY F OHL
Recruiter Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, contact the HR Service Center at 1-800-599-2537.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Carilion Clinic is a drug-free workplace.