How You’ll Help Transform Healthcare:
Provides wraparound services for Carilion's hospital-based violence intervention program, Violent Injury-Recovery and Support (VIRS). Engages youth and adults, in trauma-informed and healing centered models to reduce the risk of re-injury. Intensive case management includes appropriate support, information, mediation, and referrals to intentionally injured patients during their hospital care and in their homes and community after discharge. The VIRS Intervention Specialist works with individuals injured through violence to increase connection to resources and supports and empowers them to make lifestyle changes.
• Under the direction of the VIRS Program Manager, provide hospital and community-based services to patients within Carilion Clinic who have experienced intentional violent injury.
• Provide wraparound support and services and ongoing case management during hospital stay and post discharge for up to one year. Work within the ecosystem of community-based organizations to provide referrals.
• Accompany patients to appointments (medical, education, employment, legal, benefits, health/fitness) to promote recovery and wellness and increase connections.
• Acts as a navigator with hospital personnel and community-based organizations to facilitate communication and advocate for patients’ needs during the hospital stay and post-discharge care.
• Collaborate with VIRS staff and hospital personnel to promote a team culture that supports patients in their healing and recovery and provides education to understand clients’ unique experiences, perspectives, and needs.
• Build productive relationships with patients through developing a trusting rapport. Conduct routine encounters, visits, and communication with patients to set goals and build effective pathways for care.
• Complete safety and prevention plans. Utilize conflict mediation, de-escalation, and crisis intervention skills.
• Document all contact and provision of services with clients and potential clients consistently and accurately in the electronic health record/ care coordination software systems according to Carilion’s standards.
• Work with supervisors and others who are a part of the care team to identify solutions to close identified gaps, barriers, and deficiencies in access to services and the provision of services.
What We Require:
Education: High School diploma or equivalent required. Community Health Worker training must be successfully completed upon hire and reviewed annually.
Experience: Two years of general work experience required. Experience in community outreach efforts as a volunteer or paid professional preferred. Experience in working with underserved populations or direct patient care/reception, registration and/or customer service/consumer relations preferred.
Community Health Worker certification preferred. Must have a valid driver’s license and/or access to reliable transportation. AHA BLS-HCP must be obtained by end of supervised orientation and maintained
Other Minimum Qualifications: Excellent interpersonal and communications skills. Ability to communicate and gain trust of people from various walks of life and various socio-economic strata. Computer word processing and data entry skills required. Experience with electronic medical record or care coordination software preferred. Bilingual in Spanish preferred. Must have reliable transportation to visit clients and attend training sessions and meetings as required. Must have a valid driver's license and proof of auto insurance
This is Carilion Clinic ...
An organization where innovation happens, collaboration is expected and ideas are valued. A not-for-profit, mission-driven health system built on progress and partnerships. A courageous team that is always learning, never discouraged and forever curious.
Headquartered in Roanoke, Va., you will find a robust system of award winning hospitals, Level 1 and 3 trauma centers, Level 3 NICU, Institute of Orthopedics and Neurosciences, multi-specialty physician practices, and The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute.
Carilion is where you can make your own path, make new discoveries and, most importantly, make a difference. Here, in a place where the air is clean, people are kind and life is good. Make your tomorrow with us.
Requisition Number: 143709
Employment Status: Full time
Location: CRMH - Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital
Shift Details: Day shift
Recruiter: HAYLEY F OHL
Recruiter Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, contact the HR Service Center at 1-800-599-2537.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Carilion Clinic is a drug-free workplace.