How You’ll Help Transform Healthcare:
The Communications Center Coordinator is one of the first points of contact for patients, prospective patients, discharge planners, insurance companies/brokers, physicians, facilities, 911 dispatch centers, and other Emergency Medical Services (EMS) agencies with Carilion Clinic. Working in a call center environment as part of an extended team under the direction of the lead pod, the Communications Center Coordinator serves as a central link in the safe transfer and transport of patients throughout the region. This position is responsible for answering phone calls, facilitating insurance pre-authorization, obtaining quotes for service, arranging non-ambulance transport through other agencies, entering information into the dispatch software system and insurance portals, validating insurance coverage, and confirming pre-scheduled appointments.
• Uses service excellence principles in all communication to deliver an easy, empathetic, and solution-oriented experience for all callers. Uses closed loop communication and read backs to minimize errors.
• Receives and screens calls in an efficient manner to minimize delays. Identifies and escalates emergency calls, issues, or complaints to the appropriate pod in a timely manner.
• Facilitates the insurance pre-authorization process for non-emergency transport requests by identifying the correct payor and working through the established process with the appropriate broker. Documents correspondence, approvals, and reference numbers in the dispatch system.
• Communicates trip information accurately and concisely to CCPT leadership when a price quote for service is requested. Follows up with the caller in a timely manner.
• Works with other transport agencies or ride-share programs to obtain the most efficient and cost-effective service appropriate for the patient. Communicates the plan to the requestor and follows through to ensure the patient was transported as scheduled. Serves as a patient advocate by escalating or direct intervention when other agencies do not meet service expectations or timelines.
• Demonstrates sustained proficiency in multi-tasking and prioritizing work. Minimizes delays by direct data entry into the system while the caller is on the line.
• Reviews electronic medical records for demographic information, clinical information, or prior transport information to ensure an appropriate match of resources to patient need. Actively works to ensure the protection of private health information during this process.
• Cancels and reschedules appointments in the dispatch software program, using attention to detail to ensure the right patient and the right cancellation reason.
• Confirms future appointments by contacting the patient or facility directly. Works through scheduling changes or issues to ensure the call schedule is updated in real time.
What We Require:
Education: High school diploma or equivalent required.
Experience: Prior experience in a call center, 911 dispatch center, or as an Emergency Medical Services provider preferred.
Licensure, certification, and/or registration: American Heart Association Basic Life Support – Health Care Provider (AHA BLS -HCP) required within 3 months of hire. Virginia Office of Emergency Medical Services certification preferred. This includes Emergency Medical Responder (EMR). Certification in medical terminology preferred.
Other Minimum Qualifications: Job requires long periods of sitting and use of a headset for frequent telephone interactions. Must be proficient with keyboarding/typing and use of software applications, including Windows. Must demonstrate sustained proficiency in multi-tasking and effective communication skills focused on customer service. Must successfully complete orientation and competency validation specific for this position.
This is Carilion Clinic ...
An organization where innovation happens, collaboration is expected and ideas are valued. A not-for-profit, mission-driven health system built on progress and partnerships. A courageous team that is always learning, never discouraged and forever curious.
Headquartered in Roanoke, Va., you will find a robust system of award winning hospitals, Level 1 and 3 trauma centers, Level 3 NICU, Institute of Orthopedics and Neurosciences, multi-specialty physician practices, and The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute.
Carilion is where you can make your own path, make new discoveries and, most importantly, make a difference. Here, in a place where the air is clean, people are kind and life is good. Make your tomorrow with us.
Requisition Number: 143714
Employment Status: Full time
Location: Park View
Shift Details: Sunday, Monday and Wednesday from 07:00 am to 07:00 pm
Recruiter: JAMIE S RATLIFF
Recruiter Phone: 540-797-8363
Recruiter Email: email@example.com
For more information, contact the HR Service Center at 1-800-599-2537.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Carilion Clinic is a drug-free workplace.