How You’ll Help Transform Healthcare:
Support Carilion’s hallmarks of service excellence and quality for all job responsibilities. Oversees details of maintaining an efficient and professional front office area. Accountable for performing a minimum of four of the core job responsibilities (patient registration, patient scheduling, switchboard/phones, patient check in process, patient check out process, and/or medical record maintenance) in addition to basic and more complex front office workflow functions vital to the effective and efficient functioning of the medical practice, clinic, and/or department. Performs additional functions related to front office operations to meet specific needs of the practice, clinic and/or department. Serves as a resource person for patients, physicians, office staff, various facilities, service lines, and outside agencies utilizing effective communication, courtesy, confidentiality and professionalism in all interactions. Makes appropriate decisions, reasoning, and problem solving to solve more complex problems related to the front office operations.
• Prioritizes and performs clerical duties to maintain basic front office workflow functions as primary responsibility or back up and as applicable to the worksite: greets, screens, and provides service to patients and visitors; processes mail, faxes and other documents; maintains multi-line phone system/switchboard; schedules, registers, check in/out patients; maintain medical records; performs data entry, word processing, and spreadsheet functions; runs and maintains reports; performs charge entry; processes billing documents and researches and resolves issues; and other duties as assigned by the Site Manager/Director.
• Oversees details of maintaining an efficient and professional area, coordinating workflow, staff scheduling, new staff orientation, and clear task delegation as applicable to the worksite. Contributes to the interview and performance review processes as requested by the Site Manager/Director.
• Maintains thorough knowledge of information system(s) for patient scheduling, registration, and reporting functions. Provides new staff orientation and technical support as applicable to the worksite.
• Switchboard/phones: Demonstrates customer focused telephone etiquette to ensure all calls are received, screened and routed timely and appropriately; emergency calls, staff pages, and overhead announcements are processed according to established procedures; messages are retrieved and routed accurately; and follows beginning and end of day phone procedures. Effectively manages a high volume of calls, large number of incoming switchboard lines, and/or resolves complex patient issues.
• Registration: Ensures all insurance, demographic, and eligibility information is obtained and entered into the appropriate system(s) accurately and in accordance with established procedures. Ensures patient signatures are obtained on all necessary documents. Verifies referral and authorization requirements are met.
• Insurance Referrals/Billing: Collects co-payments, deductibles, and other self-pay amounts at time of service. Completes referral process within required timeframe and resolves billing inquiry questions effectively. Maintains cash box and receipt books: receiving payments on accounts, daily balancing of cash drawer and credit card receipts, as applicable.
What We Require:
Education: High School diploma required.
Experience: Minimum of three (3) years prior experience in a physician office/medical office required. Previous registration and/or medical insurance experience required.
Licensure, certification, and/or registration : AHA BLS-HCP desirable.
Other Minimum Qualifications: Must be customer driven, have strong grammar, spelling and punctuation skills, knowledge of medical terminology, knowledge of office procedures and equipment, proficiency in computer data entry/keyboarding, and good organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills. Ability to use electronic medical records. Ability to multi-task essential.
This is Carilion Clinic ...
An organization where innovation happens, collaboration is expected and ideas are valued. A not-for-profit, mission-driven health system built on progress and partnerships. A courageous team that is always learning, never discouraged and forever curious.
Headquartered in Roanoke, Va., you will find a robust system of award winning hospitals, Level 1 and 3 trauma centers, Level 3 NICU, Institute of Orthopedics and Neurosciences, multi-specialty physician practices, and The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute.
Carilion is where you can make your own path, make new discoveries and, most importantly, make a difference. Here, in a place where the air is clean, people are kind and life is good. Make your tomorrow with us.
Requisition Number: 141844
Employment Status: Full time
Location: Carilion Children's Pediatric Medicine - Postal Drive
Shift Details: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm
Recruiter: DANA E JOHNSON
Recruiter Phone: 540-400-4631
Recruiter Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, contact the HR Service Center at 1-800-599-2537.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Carilion Clinic is a drug-free workplace.