Onsite, Remote or Hybrid: Onsite
Sign on Bonus: $5,000 sign-on bonus available per applicable guidelines (external applicants only)
How You’ll Help Transform Healthcare:
As a member of the multidisciplinary team, the Psychiatric Technician assists with ensuring the safety of adults and children with mental illness on acute psychiatric hospital unit. Responsibilities include: delivery of patient care, providing assistance with activities of daily living, provides secretarial support, leads goals/wrap up groups, and direct/lead code secures activities. Actively participates with all unit activities providing support as indicated. Functions as a team member reporting appropriate observations, information, while maintaining a safe therapeutic milieu.
The job duties of the Psychiatric Technician include, but are not limited to, the following.
• Assists with observing the patients and reporting any unusual circumstances to licensed nurse.
• Organizes, prioritizes and provides nursing care in accordance with unit standards.
• Completes the admission/discharge process and documentation according to unit standards in chart/EMR.
• Admissions are greeted, made comfortable, oriented to unit routines and safety precautions within 15 minutes of arrival on the unit.
• Call lights and telephones are answered promptly and basic patient needs are met, whether assigned patient or not.
• Patient safety rounds are conducted every 15 minutes or according to unit policy.
• Performs activities of daily living and assists with meeting nutritional needs of patients.
• Provides patient treatments as delegated such as EKG’s, Blood Glucose testing, I&O, enemas, etc.
• Is a patient advocate, protector of patient’s rights and provider of psychological/social/cultural support. Treats patients with respect and dignity. Calls patient by name, provides privacy, etc. Uses system resources to meet patient’s cultural and disability needs.
• Provides patients and their families with appropriate information and care in a timely manner.
• Organizes and leads daily goals/wrap up groups. Reports to licensed nurse any issues or concerns by patients verbalized or written in groups.
What We Require:
Education: High school graduate or GED required.
Experience: Psychiatry related or nursing assistant experience preferred. Must possess ability to appropriately handle/restrain patients who may be disruptive and/or physically violent. Must be willing and able to learn medical terminology and clinical procedures. Experience/skills may be gained through on-the-job training and in-services as indicated.
Licensure, certification, and/or registration: De-escalation training must be successfully completed within four months of hire and then maintained going forward. Must be able to obtain AHA BLS-HCP. Valid Virginia State Driver’s license required in the NRV to transport patients.
Other Minimum Qualifications: Requires experience with or the ability for managing patients with explosive potential and/or escalating situations. Requires ability to function with minimum supervision, recognizing the need for direction and assistance in situations beyond his/her scope of capabilities. Requires ability to learn and participate as a team member. Requires clinical skills to work with child, adolescent and adult population understanding their growth and development
This is Carilion Clinic ...
An organization where innovation happens, collaboration is expected and ideas are valued. A not-for-profit, mission-driven health system built on progress and partnerships. A courageous team that is always learning, never discouraged and forever curious.
Headquartered in Roanoke, Va., you will find a robust system of award winning hospitals, Level 1 and 3 trauma centers, Level 3 NICU, Institute of Orthopedics and Neurosciences, multi-specialty physician practices, and The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute.
Carilion is where you can make your own path, make new discoveries and, most importantly, make a difference. Here, in a place where the air is clean, people are kind and life is good. Make your tomorrow with us.
Requisition Number: 142932
Employment Status: Full time
Location: Carilion Roanoke Memorial Rehab Building
Shift Details: Weekday day shift 7a-7p, Every Other Weekend
Recruiter: TAMIKA D RICKMAN
Recruiter Email: email@example.com
For more information, contact the HR Service Center at 1-800-599-2537.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Carilion Clinic is a drug-free workplace.