How You’ll Help Transform Healthcare:
Provides assessment and consultation leadership in assuming accountability for appropriate patient placement and resource utilization through collaboration with Carilion Management, Clinical Staff, Unit Staff, external agencies, hospitals and self-referrals. Facilitates patient flow into and within Carilion Clinic to the appropriate level of care and/or resources for their individual needs. Facilitates effective two-way communication and resolution of operational issues in support of Carilion Clinic goals and objectives. Provides support for all staff members while delivering quality service through a team oriented, collaborative approach. 24/7 coverage; Essential Personnel.
• Demonstrates effective Critical Thinking Skills while facilitating patient access to Carilion Clinic’s comprehensive services:
• Provides psychiatric consultation, assessment and referral services to all voluntary behavioral health patients in all six Carilion hospital Emergency Departments (EDs) and inpatients on all medical units. Uses knowledge of medical and psychiatric diagnoses and procedures, laboratory and testing results, pharmaceuticals and medical terminology to ensure medical needs are met along with psychosocial needs.
• Facilitates effective patient throughput by ensuring proper patient placement through collaboration with Carilion’s physicians and psychiatrists.
• Ensures and facilitates communication to Carilion Clinic’s internal stakeholders.
• Assumes responsibility for identifying and problem solving throughput issues on an ongoing basis.
• Coordinates admission by serving as a liaison between Connect triage services, the physician, nursing staff, other mental health professionals, community services and family members, as appropriate.
• Maintains current knowledge of the civil commitment process and coordinates involuntary admissions with the local Community Service Board Crisis Service when indicated.
• Must be knowledgeable of diagnoses and diagnostic codes, and external resources available in the community.
• Operates specialized software programs and computer systems that include but not limited to Bedboard / Teletracking, WebXChange, EPIC and Outlook E-mail.
• Performs psychiatric assessments at other Carilion ED’s and medical units through a video computer platform.
• Assists other team members with problem solving the various computer systems and software programs utilized in the facilitation of patient flow within Carilion Clinic.
• Maintains thorough knowledge of medical terminology, medical diagnoses and procedural terms in order to appropriately and effectively place patients.
• Is responsible for correctly updating patient information regarding admission status and level of care.
• Demonstrates proficiency utilizing triage techniques, prioritization and delegation optimizing Carilion Clinic resources for the communities in which it serves.
• Maintains awareness of facility census levels and related patient flow issues.
• Understands medical treatment of advanced patient types.
• Uses clinical experience to apply to appropriate intake, assessment, arrangement, and placement of all levels of patient types.
• Assists with staff training, functions as a patient advocate, and assists other team members with policy interpretation.
• Problem solves and multitasks on a consistent basis in order to place patients in a timely and efficient manner.
• Is able to prioritize and shift from one function to another with short notice.
• Maintains an overall awareness of bed availability, total discharges, total admissions and patient flow in order to appropriately and effectively assign patients.
What We Require:
Education: Master’s Degree in Behavioral Sciences from accredited university.
Experience: Minimum of 3 years in the psychiatric field required.
Licensure, certification, and/or registration: LCSW, LPC, LCP, PhD. Must achieve Basic Life Support and CPI De-Escalation certification within 6 months of accepting position.
Other Minimum Qualifications: Demonstrates leadership qualities with integrity at current level of practice and experience. Must demonstrate effective interpersonal, written and oral communication skills in a positive, courteous manner. Performs as a team player who is focused on the customer and has demonstrated problem solving skills. Must have the ability to resolve complaints, problems and issues with tact and focus of service excellence. Embodies a philosophy of service and patient centered care.
This is Carilion Clinic ...
An organization where innovation happens, collaboration is expected and ideas are valued. A not-for-profit, mission-driven health system built on progress and partnerships. A courageous team that is always learning, never discouraged and forever curious.
Headquartered in Roanoke, Va., you will find a robust system of award winning hospitals, Level 1 and 3 trauma centers, Level 3 NICU, Institute of Orthopedics and Neurosciences, multi-specialty physician practices, and The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute.
Carilion is where you can make your own path, make new discoveries and, most importantly, make a difference. Here, in a place where the air is clean, people are kind and life is good. Make your tomorrow with us.
Requisition Number: 142875
Employment Status: Full time
Location: Park View
Shift: Weekends Only
Shift Details: F/S/Su 7a-7p
Recruiter Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, contact the HR Service Center at 1-800-599-2537.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Carilion Clinic is a drug-free workplace.