Job Title: Director of English Language Arts and Reading Wage/Hour Status: Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director of Learning Term: 233 Days
Dept./School: Curriculum & Instruction
Responsible for coordinating the administration, evaluation and improvement of the instructional and curricular programs for elementary and secondary English language arts and reading.
Texas Teacher Evaluation and Support System (T-TESS) appraiser, preferred
Working knowledge of English Language Arts and Reading curriculum and instruction
Ability to evaluate instructional programs and teaching effectiveness
Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
Demonstrated supervisory experiences and leadership abilities
Prior successful teaching experience
Minimum two years supervisory experience
Experience in leading vertical teams, implementing improvement efforts and coaching teachers in the classroom
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
• Direct the development, evaluation, revision and alignment of the English Language Arts and Reading curriculum and instruction K-12.
• Facilitate and oversee professional learning opportunities in English Language Arts and Reading instruction.
• Develop and coordinate appropriately aligned assessments with the ELAR curriculum team as well as with the curriculum and instruction team.
• Provide support to teachers in utilizing district resources and curriculum.
• Provide support to campus principals related to team planning and PLCs.
• Support campuses and teams in data analysis.
• Support campuses in hiring ELAR teachers.
• Budget for and provide resources, including professional and instructional materials, software, hands-on materials, classroom libraries and tutorial/intervention materials.
• Design a system of monitoring the implementation of district programs and initiatives in classrooms and adjust the support of those programs and initiatives according to the data gathered.
• Support teachers of special populations with materials, resources and curriculum.
• Work collaboratively with campus administration in the achievement of district and campus goals.
• Contact instructional coaches and learning liaisons to inform them about decisions regarding curriculum, instructional and assessment changes as they occur.
• Design intentional time for teachers to collaborate around implementation of curriculum expectations.
• Design and implement professional learning opportunities for teachers.
• Report to the Board yearly regarding progress in departmental initiatives.
• Communicate with classroom teachers regarding TEA updates, professional learning opportunities and current research.
• Facilitate the process of book adoptions in the adoption cycle.
• Other duties as assigned.
Primary Location Administration Building Salary Range Per Year Shift Type Full-Time