Job Title: *Preschool Lead Teacher *
Reports to: Childcare Director \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_
The Lead Teacher position for the Y, Land of Wonder preschool includes management & supervision over the preschool classroom and children. Works with Assistant teacher and Childcare Director to maintain licensing standards. Performs other assignments as required.
1. Supervision over preschool children. Responsible for safety of children in care.
2. Responsible for maintaining childcare files including: ASQ, developmental screenings and other assessments
3. Responsible for following VA Quality Standards, including room design, teacher/child interactions, and implementation of "Creative Curriculum"
4. Plan and implement age appropriate and well thought-out lesson plans, parent newsletters, daily info sheets, and weekly lesson plans
5. Ensure that classroom is maintained and run well within the state licensing guidelines of the
Virginia Department of Social Services.
6. Maintain positive and professional relationships with parents and conduct ASQ, parent conferences
(2 per year) and PALS screening (as applicable)
7. Attend mandatory 16 hours (annually) of job related training. Complete mandatory CPR/First Aid,
Child Abuse & Neglect, and DSS In-Service training, along with other training pertaining to child are & Staff Development
8. Exemplify the Y Mission and character development
9. Create a welcome and friendly atmosphere for all members and program participants
*YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES:*
Mission Advancement: Demonstrates passionate belief in Y Mission and conveys mission to program participants and community.
Collaboration: Effectively collaborates with Assistant Teacher, co-workers, and Childcare Director in order to work together as a team.
Operational Effectiveness: Follow all policies and procedures set forth by Y Staff Handbook, Y Childcare
Handbook, and Supervisor. Communicate well with co-workers, Childcare Receivables Associate, and
* Program Leads shall be at least 21 years of age, have fulfilled a High School program completion or the equivalent, and hold at least 30 semester hours from a college or university.
* Must meet current Virginia Social Services child care licensing requirements and be willing to continue education to maintain licensing qualification if necessary (as required by state licensing standards,)
* Must have knowledge of child development, including Ages & Stages of Growth, and hold good mentoring skills
* Strong human relations skills
* Efficient in oral and written communication skills
* Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations
* Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or scheduled form.
* Operates in accordance with the mission, values, and policies of the Y Association.
*Prior Work Experience:*
* Experience with children; center experience preferred
* Supervisory experience preferred
* Perform multi-task functions
* Physical demands of interacting with children (sitting on floor, playing ball, bending, holding, etc.)
* Handling supplies (gym equipment, snack, games, etc.)
* Must have strong interpersonal and organizational skills. This position requires experience supervising children and assistant staff. The incumbent must bring to this position maturity, responsibility and a sincere interest in working with children; developing new assistant staff; cultivating relationships with state licensing representatives and school administrators.
* Hold passionate belief in YMCA Mission
*The Y: We’re for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.*
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $11.75 - $15.26 per hour
* Dental insurance
* Health insurance
* Paid time off
* Vision insurance
* 8 hour shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
* Rocky Mount, VA 24151: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
* CPR Certification (Preferred)
* Child Development Associate Certification (Preferred)
Work Location: In person
Compensation and Hours
Salary Range: $11.75 - $15.26 Hour Benefits Provided: Not Available Other Benefits: Not Available Type of Job: Regular
View what local employers are paying Educational Instruction and Library Occupations