How You'll Help Transform Healthcare:
Welcome to a promising future with this unique career opportunity. At Carilion Clinic, our team provides accurate medical record documentation in a forward-thinking environment.
You will thrive through extensive training, supportive leaders and potential for advancement. Carilion offers comprehensive benefits, paid time off, and tuition options. Join a team where your skills and ideas will make a difference in the health of our patients and the communities we live in.
The Coding Consultant consults with physicians and their practices on Coding protocols and issues to ensure coding reflects all services rendered to ensure maximum reimbursement. Provides Coding education to physicians and staff. Performs audit reviews of practice coding/billing process and/or performs concurrent coding of specific practices. Identifies denial trends and corrects issues to achieve minimal practice denials.
The primary job responsibilities of the coding consultant include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Consults with physicians to identify ICD-10-CM, CPT, HCPCS codes and how and when to use them. Ensures that coding reflects all services rendered for maximum reimbursement. Helps in the process of verifying all ICD-10, CPT, and HCPCS codes to all procedures and sequences codes according to coding guidelines. Establishes guidelines for which codes can be changed by the staff without specific physician approval.
• Periodically assesses coding needs and coding training and information needs. Provides coding information, seminars and/or workshops to educate physicians and staff. Provides information on coding changes and insurance coding updates on a regular basis.
• Keeps up to date with current coding guidelines, changes and billing procedures by reading and attending appropriate seminars. Obtains all documents and other resources needed for coding procedures within the physician practices. Works with management and others to update encounter forms and coding tools utilized in the practices.
• Acts as a Coding information expert and resource to answer questions and advise physicians and others.
• Works with other Coding Consultants and management to establish internal Coding quality control and audit processes. Performs random and regular reviews of different parts of the billing process and specific types of billing, such as pre-bill E/M reviews, concurrent coding of surgical procedures, payor requested audits, RAC audit reviews, and retrieving documentation for 3rd party payors by ROI process with feedback to the physicians and others. Reviews denials for the practices to trend and correct issues. Will be held accountable for the reduction of the practices denials.
This position has a primary focus on providing coding support and education to the sites and the providers. In this position, the ideal candidate will be able to work well independently and have excellent communication skills. The Coding Consultant position will perform coding reviews for providers as well as support internal coding staff with their questions. The ideal candidate would have prior coding experience in Psych/Behavioral Health and Pediatrics but we are willing to train the right candidate if needed. This position requires a CPC, we are not able to accept CPC-A for this positio n.
HYBRID POSITION- On-Site in Roanoke, VA at least two times per week
This position will predominately work M-F with some OT as needed
What We Require:
Education: High School Degree required. College degree preferred. Medical terminology and Physiology & Anatomy required.
Experience: Three years coding experience required. Physician's office experience preferred. Must have applicable experience in building relationships and interacting with physicians.
Licensure, certification, and/or registration: CPC or CCS-P required.
Other Minimum Qualifications: Effective oral and written communication skills.Work as part of a team and work independently, organizational skills, analytical abilities. Maintains working knowledge of Epic, Coding Software and any other software that are needed to perform job duties. Must be proficient with Word, Excel, Power Point and researching the web for coding and billing information.
This is Carilion Clinic ...
An organization where innovation happens, collaboration is expected and ideas are valued. A not-for-profit, mission-driven health system built on progress and partnerships. A courageous team that is always learning, never discouraged and forever curious.
Headquartered in Roanoke, Va., you will find a robust system of award winning hospitals, Level 1 and 3 trauma centers, Level 3 NICU, Institute of Orthopedics and Neurosciences, multi-specialty physician practices, and The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute.
Carilion is where you can make your own path, make new discoveries and, most importantly, make a difference. Here, in a place where the air is clean, people are kind and life is good. Make your tomorrow with us.
Requisition Number: 140438
Employment Status: Full time
Location: CASB - Carilion Administrative Services Building
Shift Details: This position will predominately work M-F with some OT as needed
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Carilion Clinic is a drug-free workplace.
Compensation and Hours
Salary Range: Not Available DOE (Depends on Experience) Benefits Provided: Not Available Other Benefits: Not Available Full or Part Time: Full Time (30 Hours or More) Job Duration: Over 150 Days Type of Job: Regular
Shift: Other, see job description
Hours per Week:
View what local employers are paying Medical Records Specialists