JOB TITLE: Reading Instructional Assistant
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Principal
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: To assist the teaching staff with the school's literacy program and help classroom teachers in their instructional efforts.
• Discusses assigned teaching area with classroom teacher to coordinate instructional efforts.
• Prepares lesson outline and plan in assigned areas and submits outline to teacher for review.
• Plans, prepares, and develops various teaching aids such as bibliographies, charts, and graphs.
• Presents subject matter to students, utilizing a variety of methods and techniques such as lecture, discussion, and supervised role playing.
• Prepares, administers, and grades examinations.
• Assists students, individually or in groups, with lesson assignments to present or reinforce learning concepts by: reading to children, assisting children in the library, writing the dictation given by young children, helping children locate and use materials, encouraging safety habits in work and play, encouraging children to work independently, and listening to children.
• Assists teachers with routine tasks such as: recording attendance and other information, collecting money, gathering resource and supplementary materials, setting up and operating audiovisual equipment, fire drills, field trips, and special events.
• Supervises the classroom when called upon to do so by the classroom teacher or building principal.
• Performs other duties as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Holds an associate's degree or the equivalent of two years of college or demonstrated, through the state paraprofessional assessment, knowledge of and ability to assist in the instruction of reading, writing and math.
• Demonstrates ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other staff, students and parents.
• Possesses general knowledge of the practices, methods and techniques used in classroom teaching.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects, and some light work requiring the exertion of up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Work requires reaching, pushing, and pulling, use of hands to grasp, handle or feel, fine manipulation, and repetitive motions. Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels. Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of office equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities. The worker is not subject to adverse environmental conditions.
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
DISCLAIMER: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required to employees to this job.
Henry County Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location Campbell Court Elementary School Salary Range $22,750.00 - $31,317.00 / Per Year Shift Type Full-Time