Check Elementary School
Classified - Position - Instructional Assistant
Job Number 3700221365
Job Goal: To assist the teacher to achieve teaching objectives by working with individual students or small groups to help them achieve the skill levels of the class as a whole.
To work closely with one or more students with disabilities on a regular basis in an effort to provide them with the physical, academic and emotional support they need to gain full benefits from the district's special education program.
Qualifications: High School Diploma or GED equivalency required. Must have an Associates Degree or 60 college credit hours or pass the parapro assessment.
• Assists with the physical and academic needs of assigned students, reads text material to students, reviews and drills activities and assists in preparation of instructional materials.
• Helps to insure continuity of the program in the absence of the teacher(s).
• Assists with any school related activities as assigned by the principal or designated teacher(s).
• Works with individual students or small or large groups to reinforce learning of material or skills initially introduced by the teacher including: drill work, reading aloud and other activities as assigned.
• Provides behavioral support to assigned students and follow a behavior plan as designated by the school team, teacher and/or principal.
• Completes training for crisis prevention and implement plans per the local guidelines.
• Guides independent study, enrichment work and remedial work assigned by the teacher(s).
• Communicates, to the special education teacher or regular education teacher, any problem or special information about a student.
• Maintains the same high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students that is expected of all staff.
• Establishes, as fully as possible, a supportive and sympathetic relationship with the student(s) without fostering or encourage intense emotional involvement.
• Operates and cares for equipment used in the classroom for instructional purposes.
• Assists with the supervision of students during class.
• Attends staff meetings as required.
• Discharges all responsibilities and fulfills all obligations as specified in contract policies and guidelines of the Floyd County School Board.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor or the superintendent.
Note: This is not necessarily an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, functions or working conditions associated with the job. The school division may add to, modify, or delete any aspect of this job as it deems advisable.
Reports To Principal
Job Posting Link www.floyd.k12.va.us/employment
Salary Range: From/To
$15,142 - $27,455
based on 2022-23 SY salary scales
Start Date August 2023
Paraprofessional Skills Highly Qualified Paraprofessional
Additional Job Information
If a sufficient number of job applications are received prior to the posted closing date, the hiring manager may review applications, schedule and conduct interviews, and make a recommendation to the Superintendent of Floyd County Schools prior to the posted closing date.
Floyd County Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age, in its programs and activities. Inquiries should be directed to Floyd County Schools, 140 Harris Hart Rd NE, Floyd, VA 24091. Telephone (540) 745-9400.
Back Login and Apply