Special Education Teacher
Check Elementary School
Instructional - Position - Special Education Teacher
Job Number 3700220895
This position will require a person who is or will be eligible for an endorsement in either Special Education General Curriculum K-12, Specific Learning Disabilities K-12 or Severe Disabilities K-12.
JOB GOAL: To develop and implement an instructional program that will effectively provide the best possible education for each student. To guide in the development of appropriate behaviors, a self-awareness and self-concept to implement the Standard of Learning and local, star and federal policies and regulations affecting special education.
• Maintain an atmosphere of mutual respect and courtesy in the learning environment, and create a classroom environment that supports all children and provides a safe learning environment. Creates a positive learning experience with emphasis in individualized instruction using appropriate sources.
• Provide a model for effective communication in interpersonal relationships and appropriate behavior. Counsel with students to develop positive self-awareness and self-concept.
• Maintain a high level of confidentiality of information about students.
• Conducts special education evaluations and reevaluations. Complete developmental evaluations and reports as part of the eligibility process for Special Education services under one or more of the 13 disability categories, which are defined in the federal and state regulations: (1) Autism spectrum disorders; (2) Deaf-blind; (3) Developmental delay; (4) Emotional disability; (5) Hearing impairment; (6) Intellectual disability; (7) Multiple disabilities; (8) Orthopedic impairment; (9) Other health impairment; (10) Specific Learning disability; (11) Speech or language impairment; (12) Traumatic brain injury; (13) Visual impairment/blindness.
• Provides research-based specialized instruction to address the instructional goals and objectives contained within each student's IEP. Develops appropriate lesson plans for effective instruction.
• Assesses student progress and determines the need for additional reinforcement or adjustments to instructional techniques and amend the IEP as needed. Communicates with parents and school personnel on student progress; assesses progress on a regular basis and provide progress reports as required.
• Employs various teaching techniques, methods and principles of learning to enable students to meet their IEP goals. Differentiates instruction aimed at specific strengths and weaknesses of the students.
• Develops and implements annual Individualized Educational Program (IEP) plans for students to include: present levels of educational performance, special education needs, instructional goals and objectives, and the special education and related services required to meet those goals. Schedules IEP team meetings and works cooperatively with team members and others in developing instructional goals and strategies.
• Coordinates the delivery of special education services in each student's IEP. Consults with participating teachers, parents, administrators, counselors and specialists frequently regarding students' individual academic progress and behavior.
• Compiles and maintains students' records, tests, reports and inventories of material and equipment.
• Attends classes, conference and workshops needed for recertification and professional development. Attends district special education meetings and complies with local implementation of district, state and federal guidelines.
• Serves as primary contact for the parent.
• Plans purposeful assignments for substitute teachers when absent.
• Discharges all responsibilities and fulfills all obligations as specified in contract, policies and guidelines in Floyd County School Board.
• Provides direction and supervision of educational assistants as directed by the building administrator.
• Complies with School Board policies and all state/federal rules and regulations.
• Completes all district and state reporting requirements.
• Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor or superintendent.
Physical and Environmental Requirements of the Position:
• Ability to move about in a classroom to monitor students and check work in settings with varied seating and desk organization patterns.
• Ability to supervise and accompany students, when necessary, in transitioning from one area to another within the building and/or school campus.
• Ability to travel to more than one work location in the course of the day if assigned to an itinerant position.
• Entails significant walking, bending, standing, stooping, and possible interventions in order to maintain a safe learning environment.
• Reach, grab, push, pull, lift, move, restrain, and/or support up to 50 pounds (and/or up to adult size body weight with two-to-three-person lift).
• Some degree of physical interaction with students who have difficulty controlling physical behavior.
Note: This is not necessarily an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, functions or working conditions associated with the job. The school division may add to, modify, or delete any aspect of this job as it deems advisable.
Reports To Principal
Job Posting Link www.floyd.k12.va.us/employment/
Salary Range: From/To
$41,400 - $71,147
based on 2022-23 SY salary scales
Start Date August 2023
Endorsements Severe Disabilities K-12, Special Ed. - Adapted Curriculum K-12, Special Ed. - General Curriculum K-12, Specific Learning Disabilities K-12
Additional Job Information
If a sufficient number of job applications are received prior to the posted closing date, the hiring manager may review applications, schedule and conduct interviews, and make a recommendation to the Superintendent of Floyd County Schools prior to the posted closing date.
Floyd County Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age, in its programs and activities. Inquiries should be directed to Floyd County Schools, 140 Harris Hart Rd NE, Floyd, VA 24091. Telephone (540) 745-9400.
Back Login and Apply