$14.80 - $17.49 Hourly
New Ulm, MN
General Description Under the general direction of the Housing Coordinator, to perform internal and grounds maintenance and custodial tasks for residential properties owned or managed by the New Ulm Economic Development Authority (EDA).
This position works Monday - Friday from 7:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. The hours are flexible at 20 - 25 hours per week if the 7:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. hours don't work.
This position is open until filled and interviews will be conducted as applications are received.
Essential Functions of the Job / Knowledge, Skills and Abilities ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
• Clean and maintain all public areas of properties including, but not limited to, hallways, stairwells, elevator, community spaces, laundry room, lobby and office areas, mechanical and maintenance rooms, restrooms, surrounding walks and grounds.
• Maintain and clean floors, woodwork, restrooms, windows, walls, furniture, and metal work.
• Clean and occasionally paint vacated dwelling units and prepare them for future occupancy.
• Perform minor electrical and plumbing repair.
• Monitor operation of boilers, air conditioning, water softeners, standby electric generator and other mechanical equipment and make repairs when required. Move furniture and load or unload freight.
• Perform various maintenance tasks, including general carpentry, tree planting and care, mow grass, snow removal work and grounds keeping.
• Perform related work as required.
• Adhere to all work rules and safety practices and attend required training.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSA’S) • Knowledge of the methods, materials and equipment used in custodial work.
• Ability to repair minor household plumbing and electrical malfunction.
• Physical ability to operate heavy cleaning, snow removal and lawn care equipment.
• Knowledge of and ability to apply generally accepted standards of horticulture care, carpentry and equipment repair.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with Housing Office clients, co-workers and the general public and to keep confidentiality when required.
• Thorough knowledge of maintenance policies and procedure manuals, blue prints, electrical and mechanical drawings.
• Ability to operate drills, sanders grinders, carpet cleaners, lawn mowers/tractors, edgers, blowers and hedge trimmers.
• General knowledge of computers and standard office equipment.
• Ability to work independently and efficiently and be accountable in meeting work deadlines.
Education and Experience This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent, any combination equivalent to two years custodial and/or building maintenance experience, and a valid driver’s license.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Work hours may include evenings and weekends, as needed.
Physical Requirements This work requires the frequent exertion of up to 25 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 50 pounds of force; work frequently walking, speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, reaching with hands and arms and pushing or pulling and occasionally requires standing, sitting, climbing or balancing, tasting or smelling, lifting and repetitive motions; work requires close vision, distance vision, ability to adjust focus, depth perception, color perception and night vision; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; work requires visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, using of measuring devices, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires wet, humid conditions (non-weather), working near moving mechanical parts, working in high, precarious places, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals, exposure to outdoor weather conditions, exposure to the risk of electrical shock and exposure to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).