Outside Sales Representative
Harbin Lumber Company Inc
Athens, GA 30601
Harbin Lumber Company Inc
Read what people are saying about working here.
General Function: It is the responsibility of each employee of the Company to understand and promote the Company Mission Statement and Statement of Values while adhering to the Company Code of Conduct. The primary responsibility of this position is to service and generate sales to all assigned contractor accounts and to generate new contractor account business.
Experience: Minimum of two years experience in contractor-oriented building materials operation or two years experience in contractor-oriented outside sales.
Education: High school diploma required. A four-year college degree in management, sales or marketing preferred.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: The ability to read blue prints, perform material take offs, follow instructions, and complete forms is required. The Outside Sales Representative must be neat and well organized; able to communicate with customers, employees and managers. Solid math and reading skills required. Qualified candidates will also be required to participate in various skills tests and personality profiling. While these tests will not be used as a determining factor in hiring for this position, results will be evaluated using position benchmarks. For skills and aptitude tests, the candidate may be required to reach the minimum level of necessary skills according to the benchmark before being hired.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
• Anticipating material requirements and reviewing these with customer.
• Making sales calls on the customer.
• Developing new contractor business.
• Ensuring the customer gets the service promised.
• Handling all customer complaints within twenty-four hours.
• Understanding pricing policies and informing customers in writing acceptance deadlines.
• Maintaining prospect file on new potential accounts and record of contacts and comments.
• Promoting and selling products the Company is emphasizing.
• Developing excellent product knowledge on all products sold.
• Notifying appropriate manager of any trends developing in products, credit, delivery, etc.
• Notifying appropriate manager of any product or service weaknesses or complaints.
• Informing appropriate manager of unusual inventory requirements.
• Ensuring materials are not delivered without an invoice.
• Handling customer requests for credits or job site pickups quickly and accurately.
• Preparing estimates and or quotations as needed.
• Attending Homebuilders Association meetings.
• Gaining knowledge of building code requirements and compliance.
• Maintaining files and folders on product information customers may require .
• Providing regular updates on competitors.
• Business Planning.
• Developing monthly and weekly business plans.
• Analyzing business plan to determine which goals were not met each month.
• Organizing field activities for minimum travel and maximum sales calls.
• Pulling list of building permits in sales territory.
• Maintaining records on customer calls, sales, credits, problems, etc.
• Maintaining a master file and customer profile on each customer.
• Complying with Company safety policy.
• Maintaining a clean, orderly, and safe work area.
• Reporting all safety concerns to the General Manager immediately.
• Understanding the Company’s credit philosophy and policies.
• Assisting Credit Manager in collections and obtaining information.
• Keeping credit manager informed of information impacting credit.
• General – As Harbin Lumber company, Inc. is a group of locations each working individually and as a team, the Outside Sales Representative must be a team player and must develop positive working relationships with all location personnel, Inside Sales Staff, and other Company employees.
Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting up to 100 pounds will be required on an occasional basis. The Outside Sales Representative must be able to climb, balance and crawl.
Working Conditions: The work is primarily outside work on the customer’s job site or office in all types of weather.
General Information: This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; there will be other duties assigned as other employee workloads, sales volumes or circumstances require. This job description is subject to change at any time.
Hiring Insights Job activity • Posted 4 days ago