JOB TITLE: Bus Mechanic II
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Supervisor of Fleet Maintenance
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Performs intermediate skilled work overhauling, repairing and maintaining large school buses, gasoline and diesel powered vehicles. Work is performed under the regular supervision of the bus garage supervisor.
• Repairs, services and maintains gasoline and diesel powered school buses and other automotive equipment.
• Diagnoses, adjusts, repairs, overhauls, rebuilds and services gasoline and diesel powered vehicles.
• Overhauls, fabricates and services automotive assemblies, systems and accessories such as drivetrain and rear axles, multi-speed transmissions, and hydraulic compressed air, vacuum and electric controls, air-conditioning electrical systems and components.
• Operates various types of shop equipment, diagnostic machinery, precision instruments, specialized tools and devices such as air conditioning recycling machine, dial gauges, wheel alignment gauges and balancing, clutch cover assembly devices, power saws, grinders, drill presses, and welding equipment.
• Responds to road calls and other emergency calls for service.
• Prepares reports on completed work, records and files.
• Road tests buses after scheduled preventive maintenance.
• Conducts state inspections.
• Perform duties of substitute school bus driver as needed.
• Maintains cleanliness of garage and vehicles.
• Performs other duties as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and considerable mechanical repair experience including some experience in repairing and maintaining large engines, diesel powered equipment.
• Thorough knowledge of the operation and repair of the components, systems and accessories of gasoline and diesel powered equipment and automotive equipment including large buses, trucks, and cars. Thorough knowledge of tools and equipment, as well as the special tools, gauges, machinery and shop equipment used in the repair, servicing and maintenance of transit equipment. Ability to detect by inspection worn, defective or improperly adjusted parts. Ability to follow oral and written instructions and to keep records of repair and service operations.
• Possession of/or willingness (within 12 months of employment) to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License with required endorsements valid in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
• Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
• Possession of Virginia State Inspectors License.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is heavy work requiring the exertion of 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Work requires climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pulling, lifting, use of fingers, grasping and repetitive motions. Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels. Visual acuity is required for depth perception, color perception, peripheral vision, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities. The worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, noise, vibration, hazards, atmospheric conditions and oils.
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
DISCLAIMER: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required to employees to this job.
Henry County Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position will be posted until filled.
Primary Location Transportation Salary Range $45,074.00 - $62,039.00 / Per Year Shift Type Full-Time