Franklin County Public Safety Department is seeking applicants for Full Time & Part Time Paramedic/Fire Fighter vacancies. Duties include, performing work in emergency medical services; fire suppression; ALS/EMS stabilization procedures & transport. Education equivalent to graduation from High School with additional course work in relevant college level courses; minimum of 1year ALS/EMS experience preferred. Must possess and maintain required certifications appropriate to the department. Paramedic (ALS)/FF – FT Regular minimum starting salary: 24-Hour $46,305 (Effective July 1st) & PT Hourly $16.56. Franklin County offers excellent benefits! Applicants may find complete job description and apply online at www.franklincountyva.gov or visit the Franklin County Government Center, 1255 Franklin Street, Suite #109, Rocky Mount, VA. Daily reviews/OUF. AA/EOE
Performs difficult protective services work in regard to emergency medical services and fire suppression; engages directly in providing advanced life support and stabilization procedures at the scene of a medical emergency and during transport to medical facilities; engages directly in fire suppression activities and response to fire related incidents as required; does related EMS, fire and emergency services work as required.
The position will work for the Department of Public Safety. Work is performed under the general supervision of the
• Acts in the capacity of Paramedic/Firefighter.
• Provides Advanced Life Support and other EMS stabilization procedures.
• Performs rescue from potentially life-threatening situations.
• Assists in the protection of property via fire-suppression and fire related activities.
• Assists with Hazardous Materials Incident responses.
• Prepares accurate records and reports as required for EMS and fire related responses.
• Operates emergency equipment and vehicle as required.
• Assists in maintenance of equipment related to the County EMS/Fire service.
• Assists in maintenance of buildings and grounds related to the County EMS/Fire service.
• Assists in maintenance of vehicles related to County EMS/Fire service.
• Assists in maintenance of water distribution appurtenances related to fire suppression.
• Replenishes supplies and materials as needed for County EMS/Fire service.
• Assists in fire and safety inspections/investigations of public and private property as required.
• Assists in providing EMS, Fire, and general Safety training to the public.
• Assists in providing EMS, Fire and Hazardous Materials training to volunteers.
• Other tasks and activities as assigned in reference to EMS, Fire and Emergency Services.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Extensive knowledge of emergency medical care and advanced life support techniques; working knowledge of fire fighting techniques; ability to work cooperatively with other emergency services personnel under hazardous or stressful conditions; ability to assist in managing emergency medical services incidents making appropriate decisions in regard to patient care; ability to assist in managing emergency fire incidents making appropriate decisions in regard to fire suppression and property protection; ability to foster and maintain a positive working relationship with volunteer personnel and the public; have an aptitude for mechanical and manual work and be in excellent physical condition. Must be willing and able to develop a working knowledge of all aspects of
Public Safety activities within Franklin County and be willing and able to complete various tasks associated with the provision of these services.
TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Must possess education equivalent to graduation from high school with additional course work in relevant college level courses; possession of Nationally Registered Emergency Medical Technician – Paramedic;
Virginia Department of Fire Programs Fire Fighter 1 certification or ability to obtain within 18 months of employment; Virginia Department of Fire Programs Hazardous Materials Response – Operations Level certification or ability to obtain within 18 months of employment; EVOC certification; a minimum of 1 year
ALS EMS experience. Continuation of employment will be dependent on maintaining certification requirements.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS AND RELATED OBLIGATIONS
Candidate must undergo and successfully complete a criminal background investigation and driving record investigation; successful completion of a drug screening program; possession of a valid Virginia Motor Vehicle
Operators license; employment will be pending on successful completion of a physical examination in regard to acceptable standards of the general physical condition of the applicant as defined by the NFPA for similar employment positions; the use of ANY tobacco products may be cause for disqualification for employment.
Candidate should be able to lift 100 lbs. and may be required to pass a medical exam and/or run 1.5 miles at a time set by age and sex; work in stressful, demanding, and hazardous environments; and perform work while wearing a respirator.
Individual must be able to perform work in all types of hazardous environments including but not limited to natural, man- made and environments that are immediately dangerous to life and health (IDLH). Individual must be able to work in law enforcement situations. Individual should be able to lift more than 100 lbs on a regular basis
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANCE
Franklin County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Franklin
County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with the employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $46,305.00 per year
• Dental insurance
• Employee assistance program
• Flexible spending account
• Health insurance
• Health savings account
• Life insurance
• Paid time off
• Retirement plan
• Weekend availability
Work Location: One location