US Oncology, Inc. Rocky Mount, VA (On Site) Full-Time
Apply on company site
SCOPE: Under direct supervision of a physician working within a clinic admixture room, performs the technical, nonjudgemental aspects of medication preparation, distribution, record keeping and inventory control. Tasks are subject to sequential or final verification by a registered nurse or a registered pharmacist. Supports and adheres to the US Oncology Compliance Program, to include the Code of Ethics and Business Standards. Specific state law may regulate that only licensed individuals perform compounding or mixing responsibilities. As a result, certain incumbents are prohibited from said tasks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Prepares medication orders by compounding or admixing medications under supervision of a physician.
* Checks all orders for completeness of information.
* Verifies patient information and proper physician authorization.
* Checks all orders for insurance approval before admixing. Under a professional's supervision, admixes drugs as ordered by physician in an accurate and timely manner as per department guidelines, and preparing all drugs within OSHA guidelines and interoffice guidelines.
* Calculates correct dosage volumes, converting between metric and apothecary equivalents. Maintains indigent patient drug program as assigned.
* Counts controlled drugs weekly and maintain records.
* Maintains current drug information and MSDS sheets.
* Properly disposes all materials used when mixing chemo or non-chemo IVs.
* Cleans hood daily or as stated in policy and procedures.
* Logs and dates all drugs that are being used.
* Checks drugs monthly for outdate and other quality assurance activities as assigned.
* Keeps accurate temperature logs. Keeps accurate logs on all protocol drugs and patient assistance drugs.
* Maintains proper control documentation of medications, including lot numbers.
* Complete inventory control of medications. Receives and shelves medications.
* Assists lead admixture technician in ensuring that standard drug supplies are in adequate supply in all departments.
* Prepares labels. Files and prepares billing. Performs efficient data entry into systems used by pharmacy and admixture.
* Ordering of medication and supplies as directed.
* Assist with required cleaning and maintenance of the admix area and the pharmacy department in general to minimize particle counts and improve overall sanitation
High School diploma or equivalent. Minimum three to five years experience in a pharmacy with I.V. skills. I.V. certification preferred. Certified Pharmacy Technician certificate or State Pharmacy Board requirement recommended.
COMPETENCIES: -Uses Technical and Functional Experience: Possesses up to date knowledge of the profession and industry; is regarded as an expert in the technical/functional area; accesses and uses other expert resources when appropriate. -Demonstrates Adaptability: Handles day to day work challenges confidently; is willing and able to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity and rapid change; shows resilience in the face of constraints, frustrations, or adversity; demonstrates flexibility. -Uses Sound Judgment: Makes timely, cost effective and sound decisions; makes decisions under conditions of uncertainty. -Shows Work Commitment: Sets high standards of performance; pursues aggressive goals and works efficiently to achieve them. -Commits to Quality: Emphasizes the need to deliver quality products and/or services; defines standards for quality and evaluated products, processes, and service against those standards; manages quality; improves efficiencies.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical demands of this job typically require full range of body motion including manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination and the ability to read and note appropriate measurements. Requires sitting/standing for extensive periods of time. Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 40 lbs. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to direct contact with patients with potential for exposure to toxic substances, medicinal preparations, and chemotherapeutic agents.
• Certified Nurse Practitioner
• Certified Pharmacy Technician
Apply to this job.
Think you're the perfect candidate?
Apply on company site
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job: Report this job
Job ID: 2258509686
For your privacy and protection , when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn more.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.