Sign on Bonus: $10,000 (when candidate meets applicable guidelines)
Position is eligible for a $10,000.00 sign-on bonus when external candidate meets applicable guidelines.
If you want to learn more about being a Paramedic at Carilion or read testimonials from current Paramedics, please watch this VIDEO .
All of our driving positions do require that you provide a copy of your current driving record and meet driver eligibility requirements.
The Paramedic administers life support care and transport to patients in pre-hospital settings as authorized and directed by physician.The Paramedic performs a variety of skills related to acute and non-acute settings in ground and/or air transport, responds to medical emergencies in a 911 setting and protects life and administers cardiac and trauma support when needed, and administers initial treatment at emergency scene, assesses patient response and makes adjustments as needed. The Paramedic gathers and analyzes information and uses reason when dealing with emotional topics. The Paramedic manages difficult customer situations and maintains confidentiality. The Paramedic is also expected to support Carilion's hallmarks of service excellence and quality for all job responsibilities.
• Assesses nature and extent of illness or injury to establish and prioritize medical procedures to be followed, or need for additional assistance. Synthesizes complex information. Restores and stabilizes heart rhythm on pulseless, non-breathing patients. Initiates IV drugs to administer medication or drugs or to replace fluids.
• Administers emergency procedures such as extrication of patient, intubation, defibrillation, and operates under ACLS protocol. Administers injections of medications and drugs. Initiates invasive and non-invasive treatment at an advanced level; treats life threatening arrythmias, respiratory compromise, shock and trauma, and specializing in pediatric care.
• Observes, records, and reports to physician or command center personnel, patient’s condition and reaction to drugs, treatments, and significant incidents. Utilizes excellent communication skills in dealing with staff, peers, patients and family members in diverse situations.
• Keeps current on treatment techniques, protocol changes and application of new drugs, material and equipment. Takes responsibility for own actions and those of support team members.Coordinates activities with external entities if needed.
• Prepares required reports and maintains records of activities. Obtains all information needed for insurance billings of patients, and has knowledge of covered and non-covered charges as they pertain to ambulance services, and insurance guidelines. Writes clearly and presents numerical data/patient reports effectively and on time. Maintains knowledge of basic computer skills and applicable software.
• Checks daily units assigned, clean and stocks, and reports any malfunctions to the in-house mechanic. Maintains cost efficiency in supplies and uses resources appropriately.
• Transports patients to hospital and non-hospital sites observing safety guidelines. Maintains advanced transport medical knowledge and abilities. Maintains and excellent driving record and may operate vehicle to emergency scene.
Education: High school graduate or equivalent required. Associates degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical program in paramedic studies preferred.
Experience: One year Paramedic experience perferred.
Licensure/Certification: Certified in the state of Viginia as a Paramedic and National Registered Paramedic status maintained (preferred). AHA BLS - HCP and ACLS required. PALS, Haz Mat Awareness, NRP, and PHTLS or BTLS required within one year from date of hire.
Other: Must maintain continuing education hours to meet re-certification status as required by state and national standards. Must provide current driving record and meeting driver eligibility requirements for all driver positions.
This is Carilion Clinic ...
An organization where innovation happens, collaboration is expected and ideas are valued. A not-for-profit, mission-driven health system built on progress and partnerships. A courageous team that is always learning, never discouraged and forever curious.
Headquartered in Roanoke, Va., you will find a robust system of award winning hospitals, Level 1 and 3 trauma centers, Level 3 NICU, Institute of Orthopedics and Neurosciences, multi-specialty physician practices, and The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute.
Carilion is where you can make your own path, make new discoveries and, most importantly, make a difference. Here, in a place where the air is clean, people are kind and life is good. Make your tomorrow with us.
Recruiter: JAMIE S RATLIFF
Recruiter Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, contact the HR Service Center at 1-800-599-2537.