$23.45 - $32.84 Hourly
Closing date and time
4/20/2023 at 5:00 PM Central Time (US & Canada)
Job Summary Coordinates and conducts inspections on property to identify and correct code violations to improve the quality of life within the City. Provides information to the public regarding codes, ordinances and compliance requirements. Maintains records and inspection information.
Essential Functions 1. Conducts on-site inspections to ensure compliance with codes and ordinances of the City of Grapevine and other applicable federal and state regulations, such as, but not limited to: trash, debris, high grass and/or weeds, substandard housing conditions, inoperative/parked vehicles and community property nuisances.
2. Acts as a liaison with the Police Department and other city departments on special concerns, as needed.
3. Receives complaints by telephone, mail, or in person and follows established investigative process. Issues notices and citations when needed to gain abatement of nuisances.
4. Records and reports on complaints received and action taken to resolve situation.
5. Prepares an activity report upon request detailing the volume and type of complaint, actions taken and the current status of the complaint.
6. Maintains Code Enforcement files, correspondence, and reports.
7. Coordinates meetings with staff and citizens to gather case information. Updates case information in computer system and physical documents to prepare for court cases.
8. Researches information related to properties, codes, and zoning regulations.
9. Prepares notices of violations and issues citations.
10. Attends municipal court, as needed.
11. Performs related duties as directed when such duties are a logical and appropriate assignment to the position.
12. Regular and timely attendance are required for this position.
13. Interacts professionally and respectfully with the public, coworkers, and others in the course of daily work.
Required Skills SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Must have knowledge of local, state and federal laws, codes, and regulations.
• Must have knowledge or skill in conflict resolution and effectively handle sensitive situations requiring courtesy, persuasion, and tact.
• Must have knowledge in records maintenance practices and procedures.
• Must be able to handle confidential matters in a responsible manner.
• Must be able to evaluate situations and make accurate decisions.
• Must have excellent verbal and written communication.
• Must have a willingness to learn and be a team player able to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Must have the ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
• Must have the ability to learn additional applications as they apply and evolve to working assignments.
• Must have the ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with employees and citizens alike.
• Skill in use of a personal computer, tablet and cellular phone including Microsoft Office programs, email and internet research.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
High school diploma or equivalent and one year of related experience is required.
Must have knowledge of codes and ordinances governing nuisances, inoperative vehicles, zoning and substandard housing conditions.
State of Texas Code Enforcement Certificate of Registration is highly preferred.
Must pass a Federal/National criminal background check. Must have a valid Texas driver's license with an acceptable driving record as defined by City policy.
Must pass a pre-employment basic physical, drug screen, and functional assessment screening (Level 1).
While performing the essential functions of this position the employee is rarely exposed to disagreeable environmental factors; however, there will be some exposure to:
• Bright/dim light
• Dusts and pollen
• Extreme heat and/or cold
• Wet or humid conditions
• Extreme noise levels
• Fumes and/or noxious odors
• Moving machinery
• Electrical shock
• Toxic/caustic chemicals
• Other extreme hazards not listed above
Safety equipment such as gloves, goggles, hard hats, safety vests, steel-toe boots, back support belts, and seat belts are provided and must be worn as required by department procedures and good safety practices.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job entails moderate physical labor, which requires strength and agility. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently is required to stand; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit or smell. The employee must occasionally lift, shovel, and carry 35 to 50 pounds and exert up to 100 pounds of force. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Disclaimer The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and the job requirements change.