Owensboro Municipal Utilities
Job Code: 078
Civil Service: No
Random Drug Screen: No
Residency Requirement: No
Department: Customer Service and Shared Services
Reports To: Human Resource Manager
Location: Training and Development Center
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
The intent of this description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by employees on this job. Employees may be required or assigned other related activities, projects, or tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. The requirements are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability needed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Under the moderate supervision of the Human Resource Manager, performs a wide range of support duties in the areas of human resources related to staffing, benefits, training and development and employee relations. Position requires critical and strategic thinking through all facets of human resources. Requires a high degree of professionalism, sensitivity, and confidentiality and must work effectively with teams of people.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Coordinate all staffing activities including but not limited to creating advertisements, civil service and non-civil service recruiting requirements, applicant tracking, scheduling and conducting interviews, evaluating candidates, assisting in filling vacancies with qualified candidates by collaborating with departments to understand skills and competencies required of openings, and coordination of all pre-employment screenings.
• Coordinate the employee benefit package through open enrollment. Administer and maintain employee benefit programs including medical, dental, vision, and disability packages. Work closely with the different carriers and benefit brokers. Prepare, balance, and processes monthly benefit records and billing.
• Coordinate and assist in the new hire on-boarding and employee separation process.
• Coordinate and administer the Service Anniversary Award program.
• Coordinate employee events such as OMU day for new hires, benefits fair, flu shot clinic, employee events, etc.
• Complete and file required federal affirmative action reports.
• Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, recruitment, employment law, etc.
• Maintain compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations related to all facets of human resources and recommend best practices; review policies and practices to maintain compliance.
• Performs routine tasks required to administer and execute human resource programs including but not limited to educational assistance program, bundle of joy, bereavements, PTO program, etc.
• Act as a backup to the Payroll Administrator.
• Coordinate and maintain pre-employment records for CDL Driver Qualification Files including on-going scheduling and reporting requirements.
• Administer employee security badges, employee travel and training processes, random drug screen program, and purchase orders, requisitions and processing human resource related invoices
• Assist Human Resource Manager in the development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures.
• Assist in the planning, development, and implementation of human resource related employee training including but not limited to leadership, supervisory, diversity/inclusion, etc.
• Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty mentioned satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Knowledge of a specialized field (however acquired), such as basic accounting, computer, etc. Equivalent of four years in high school, plus night, trade extension, or correspondence school specialized training, equal to two years of college, plus 2 years related experience and/or training, and 7 to 11 months related management experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and understand general business/company related articles and professional journals; Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to prepare and interpret bar graphs.
CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of known variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram formats.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Driver's License
PREFERRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
SOFTWARE SKILLS REQUIRED
Intermediate: Human Resources Systems, Word Processing/Typing
Basic: Alphanumeric Data Entry, Database, Payroll Systems, Presentation/PowerPoint, Spreadsheet
INITIATIVE AND INGENUITY
Under direction where a definite objective is set up and the employee plans and arranges own work, referring only unusual cases to supervisor.
Considerable responsibility with regard to general assignments in planning time, method, manner, and/or sequence of performance of own work; may also occasionally assist in the planning of work assignments performed by others within a limited area of operation.
Performs work operations which permit frequent opportunity for decision-making of minor importance and also frequent opportunity for decision-making of major importance; the latter of which would affect the work operations of other employees and/or clientele to a moderate degree.
Close mental demand. Operations requiring close and continuous attention for control of operations. Operations requiring intermittent direct thinking to determine or select the most applicable way of handling situations regarding the organization's administration and operations; also to determine or select material and equipment where highly variable sequences are involved.
ANALYTICAL ABILITY / PROBLEM SOLVING
Moderately structured. Fairly broad activities using moderately structured procedures with only generally guided supervision. Interpolation of learned things in somewhat varied situations.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR WORK OF OTHERS
Responsibility for work of others: Not indicated.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR FUNDS, PROPERTY and EQUIPMENT
Regularly responsible for property where carelessness or error would result in only minor damage or minor monetary loss. Almost continuous care and attention is required when handling this property in order to prevent loss.
Probable errors would not likely be detected until they reached another department, office or patron, and would then require considerable time and effort to correct the situation. Frequently, possibility of error that would affect the organization's prestige and relationship with the public to a limited extent, but where succeeding operations or supervision would normally preclude the possibility of a serious situation arising as a result of the error or decision.
FREEDOM TO ACT
Generally controlled. General processes covered by established policies and standards with supervisory oversight.
ANNUAL MONETARY IMPACT
The amount of annual dollars generated based on the job's essential duties / responsibilities. Examples would include direct dollar generation, departmental budget, proper handling of organization funds, expense control, and savings from new techniques or reduction in manpower.
None. Job does not create any dollar monetary impact for the organization.
IMPACT ON END RESULTS
Modest impact. Job has some impact on the organizations end results, but still from an indirect level. Provides assistance and support services that facilitates decision making by others.
Regular contacts with patrons where the contacts are initiated by the employee. Involves both furnishing and obtaining information and, also, attempting to influence the decisions of those persons contacted. Contacts of considerable importance and of such nature, that failure to exercise proper judgment may result in important tangible or intangible losses to the organization.
Contacts of considerable importance within the department or office, such as those required in coordination of effort, or frequent contacts with other departments or offices, generally in normal course of performing duties. Requires tact in discussing problems and presenting data and making recommendations, but responsibility for action and decision reverts to others.
USE OF MACHINES, EQUIPMENT AND/OR COMPUTERS
Regular use of complex machines and equipment (desktop/laptop computer and software, road and production machines and equipment, driver's license/cdl, etc.)
Periodically exposed to such elements as noise, intermittent standing, walking, occasionally pushing, carrying, or lifting; but none are present to the extent of being disagreeable.
The following work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
Moderate diversity, low physical. Work activities which allow for a moderate amount of diversity in the performance of tasks which are not as varied as those positions with high-level diversity and decision-making.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk or hear; frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision; and distance vision.
• Bachelor's degree in related field or combination of education and experience. Minimum of four years of relatable human resource experience required.
• Thorough knowledge of employment related laws and regulations.
• Demonstrated knowledge of human resource administration, functions, and best practices.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Excellent time management skills with ability to prioritize tasks and a proven ability to meet deadlines
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality
• Proficient with Microsoft programs or related software
$ per Employment Type: Full-Time