Assigns codes for medical procedures using Diagnosis Related Groups (DRG), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT), and/or Medicare's Ambulatory Payment Classification (APC) classification.
• Responsible for timely review of patient records in order to identify an appropriate selection of codes that will accurately reflect the reason for admission, extent of care received, and level of severity of illness.
• Assigns and sequences International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10-CM) diagnosis and procedures codes correctly.
• Seeks clarification from medical records and healthcare providers when necessary.
• Enhances coding knowledge and skills with continuing education activities and by reviewing pertinent literature.
• Reviews coding work queues daily and takes appropriate action to send charges for processing.
• Completes monthly audits of provider's charts per Owensboro Health Medical Group policy.
• Posts charges for hospital visits, consults, and procedures.
• Provides education and communicates coding changes to providers and staff.
• Responsible for ensuring all data elements required for federal and state reporting are collected and included in the patient's abstract record.
• Researches and applies industry benchmarks and practices.
• High school diploma, General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or higher required upon hire
• No experience required
• CPC - Certified Professional Coder through American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) required upon hire OR
• CPC-A - Certified Professional Coder-Apprentice through American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) required upon hire OR
• COC � Certified Outpatient Coder through American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) required upon hire OR
• CEDC - Certified Emergency Department Coder through American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) required upon hire OR
• RCC - Radiology Certified Coder through Radiology Coding Certification Board (RCCB) required upon hire OR
• CCA - Certified Coding Associate through American Health Information Management Associate (AHIMA) required upon hire OR
• CCS � Certified Coding Specialist through American Health Information Management Associate (AHIMA) required upon hire OR
• CCS-P � Certified Coding Specialist-Physician-based through American Health Information Management Associate (AHIMA) required upon hire OR
• RHIT � Registered Health Information Technician through American Health Information Management Associate (AHIMA) required upon hire OR
• RHIA � Registered Health Information Administrator through American Health Information Management Associate (AHIMA) required upon hire
Skills and Attributes
• Requires critical thinking skills and decisive judgment.
• Works under minimal supervision.
• Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
• Requires an in-depth understanding of the specialized concepts, practices, and procedures in the area of specialization.
• Utilizes in-depth knowledge of the specialization as well as business needs to recommend appropriate action.
• Standing: Occasionally
• Walking: Occasionally
• Sitting: Frequently
• Lifting 0-25 lbs: Rarely
• Lifting 25-75 lbs: Never
• Lifting over 75 lbs: Never
• Carrying 0-25 lbs: Rarely
• Carrying 25-75 lbs: Never
• Carrying over 75 lbs: Never
• Pushing/Pulling 0-25 lbs: Rarely
• Pushing/Pulling 25-75 lbs: Never
• Pushing/Pulling over 75 lbs: Never
• Climbing: Rarely
• Bending/Stooping: Rarely
• Kneeling: Rarely
• Crouching/Crawling: Rarely
• Reaching: Occasionally
• Talking: Frequently
• Hearing: Occasionally
• Repetitive Foot/Leg Movements: Never
• Repetitive Hand/Arm Movements: Frequently
• Keyboard Data Entry: Frequently
• Running: Never
• Vision: Depth Perception: Frequently
• Vision: Distinguish Color: Frequently
• Vision: Seeing Far: Frequently
• Vision: Seeing Near: Frequently
Owensboro Health Core Commitments
INTEGRITY - We conduct ourselves with a high level of responsibility, reliability and honesty because we take seriously the trust of our patients and coworkers.
RESPECT - We value and accept the unique talents and contributions of every patient, customer and team member in the Owensboro Health community.
TEAMWORK - We build a spirit of connectivity and fellowship by striving together to overcome obstacles, surpass goals, celebrate accomplishments and plan the future.
INNOVATION - We foster original ideas and creative solutions that improve our daily work and promote the mission of Owensboro Health.
SERVICE - We focus on service to patients, customers and team members by anticipating their needs, thoughtfully meeting those needs and continually improving the quality of everything we do.
EXCELLENCE - We reach beyond basic expectations to expand our knowledge and awareness, produce exceptional work and provide outstanding service.