JOB TITLE: Special Education Teacher (Autism)
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: School Principal
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Under the direction of the school principal and special education department, performs difficult professional work preparing and providing training and instruction to children with disabilities, individually and in groups. Creates an atmosphere and environment conducive to the intellectual, physical, social, and emotional development of individuals to ensure success for every student. Supervises students in a variety of school-related settings. Communicates and interacts with students, parents, staff, and community stakeholders. Designs student assessments, monitors and evaluates student outcomes, and analyzes assessment data. Develops, selects, and modifies instructional plans and materials to meet the needs of all students. Maintains appropriate records and follows required procedures and practices. Monitors appropriate use and care of equipment, materials, and facilities.
• Teaches and trains students with disabilities.
• Motivating students to achieve maximum potential.
• Assesses and evaluates needs of students.
• Develops Individualized Educational Programs (IEP’s) and lesson plans.
• Knows and maintains compliance with the special education timeline.
• Participates in IEP meetings, and serves as a member of the IEP team.
• Communicates effectively with parents regarding students needs, progress, and the student’s IEP.
• Uses research-based instructional strategies to instruct students by lecturing, demonstrating, and using appropriate instructional technology and other materials to supplement presentations.
• Translates lesson plans into learning experience based on needs and abilities of students.
• Provides instruction in individual or group sessions.
• Delivers instruction and provides growth-producing feedback.
• Serves as a positive role model to students, and demonstrates appropriate behavior and socialization skills.
• Formulates and implements behavior modification programs.
• Evaluates students' progress, maintains appropriate records, and prepares progress reports.
• Maintains attendance and grade records.
• Establishes and maintains standards of behavior.
• Maintains a positive classroom environment through the use of effective classroom management techniques.
• Maintains professional competence through inservice education, professional books and instructional materials.
• Complies with school and school board policies and regulations.
• Demonstrates professional growth.
• Completes required records and reports promptly and accurately.
• Uses instructional and planning time effectively.
• Assumes responsibility for the care of materials, equipment, and facilities.
• Assumes responsibility for a neat, safe environment for students committed to his/her care.
• Practices and promotes positive interaction with and among students.
• Encourages self-direction and self-motivation in students.
• Demonstrates knowledge of the subject being taught.
• Exhibits evidence of effective lesson plans.
• Utilizes a variety of appropriate materials and resources.
• Performs other duties as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's Degree in applicable field of education from an accredited college or university. Must have or be eligible for an appropriate teaching license from the Virginia Department of Education.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is light work requiring the exertion of up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Work requires reaching, pushing, and pulling; use of hands to grasp, handle or feel; fine manipulation; and repetitive motions. Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels. Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of office equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities. The worker is not subject to adverse environmental conditions.
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
DISCLAIMER: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required to employees to this job.
Position will be posted until filled.
HENRY COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Due to limited funds, Henry County Public Schools is unable to sponsor Visas.
Primary Location Carver Elementary School Salary Range $45,537.00 - $63,306.00 / Per Year Shift Type Full-Time