JOB CLASS: 7181
TITLE: STAFF ACCOUNTANT
CLASSIFICATION: FINANCIAL ANALYST
REPORTS TO: Chief Financial and Operating Officer
JOB GOAL: To assure the effective operation of Board financial matters specifically related to payroll and processing.
• Bachelor degree in accounting or finance
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
• Computer proficient in MS Word, Excel, and other related software packages
• Minimum of two years accounting experience required; school district or public accounting experience preferred
• Ability to deal with information and materials in a confidential manner
• Knowledge of principles and procedures of federal, state, local, and other applicable regulations/requirements
• Ability to complete and maintain accurate reports and records
• Strong interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Work with business personnel in such areas as payroll, record keeping, and other financial reports.
• Monitor and adjust priority of assignments to meet established timelines.
• Prepare financial reports, budgets, and summaries.
• Assist in the preparation of financial reports ensuring financial controls and practices are in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
• Communicate with employees, vendors, etc. to ensure accurate payroll processing and/or payment of bills/accounts.
• Recommend improved procedures, practices, and policies and facilitate process improvements as directed by the Chief Financial Officer.
• Provide information in support of budget preparation.
• Prepare requested information for independent auditors.
• Ability to work individually and collaboratively.
• Act in accordance with the by-laws and policies as set forth by the Owensboro Board of Education, KRS and KAR, and applicable federal laws and regulations.
• Demonstrate loyalty and dedication to the goals of the Owensboro Public Schools
• Other duties as assigned by the Chief Financial Officer.
• Classified salary schedule
• Classified benefits package
• FLSA: Non Exempt
• Days per year: 240
• Hours per day: 8
Indoor, environmentally controlled. Typical school/office environment including but not limited to telephones, personal interruptions, background noises. Requires working with or near the public, parents, and children and will be subject to sounds, scents, and other related environmental factors. This position will require dealing with conflict and requires use of sound judgment.
Physical Demands: (example)
• Must be able to kneel and squat
• Must be able to bend at the waist, twist, and turn
• Standing and walking intermittently throughout a typical work day
• Lifting-up 20 lbs.
• Sitting for long periods of time
• Repetitive movement
Travel Requirements: (Frequency and Duration)
• Less than 10% out of district
• Daily as needed within district boundaries
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the board’s policy on Evaluation of Classified Staff. Evaluation will be conducted by the Chief Financial and Operating Officer.
Primary Location Central Office Salary Range Per Year Shift Type Full Time