JOB CLASS: 7609
• High school diploma or GED certificate
• Previous custodial experience preferred
• Must meet the requirements for criminal record checks as specified by Kentucky State Law
REPORTS TO: Custodial Supervisor and School Principal
JOB Description: Perform routine custodial activities at an assigned school site or facility to maintain buildings, locker rooms and adjacent grounds areas in a clean, orderly and secure condition.
KNOWLEDGE OF and ABILITY TO:
• Understand written and verbal instructions.
• Understand and follow safety procedures.
• Operate vacuums and other related equipment.
• Safely use cleaning equipment and supplies.
• Lift and manipulate heavy objects.
• Read, understand, follow and enforce safety procedures.
Essential Functions, Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform routine custodial activities at assigned District school sites; sweep, scrub, mop, wash and polish floors and vacuum rugs and carpets in classrooms, offices, workshops and other assigned work areas; spot clean and shampoo carpets; glue and perform carpet stretching and repairs as assigned.
• Clean classrooms, restrooms, showers, locker rooms, shops, cafeteria, offices and related facilities as assigned; sweep, mop and clean gymnasium floor as assigned; spot mop spills and remove gum and debris; monitor gym events to assure orderly behavior and to protect the building from damage; clean tables, chairs and floors after lunch periods as assigned.
• Clean and disinfect drinking fountains, sinks, toilets, showers and urinals; clean mirrors, tile and windows.
• Report safety, sanitary and fire hazards to appropriate authority; report and recommend maintenance repairs to appropriate authority’ maintain security of building; report suspicious or unauthorized individuals on campus; report infractions of rules to supervisor.
• Wash windows and walls; clean chalkboards, trays and erasers and empty pencil sharpeners; assemble, move and arrange furniture, supplies and equipment in preparing classrooms and multi-purpose rooms for special events or meetings.
• Clean Venetian blinds, dust and polish furniture and woodwork and make minor non-technical repairs as needed.
• Lock and unlock doors and gates as appropriate; maintain security of assigned areas according to established guidelines; turn the alarm system off in the morning and on in the evenings as directed.
• Order supplies according to established guidelines and procedures.
• Pick up and rake paper, trash and debris around school grounds and in buildings sweep and clean walkways and entrances; dispose of trash according to established procedures; wash out trash cans and follow established sanitation procedures and standards.
• Pack, unpack, load, receive and store books, supplies, materials and other items.
• Operate cleaning equipment such as vacuums, floor stripper, cleaning, buffer and polisher, carpet shampooer, scrubbers, high-pressure sprayer, manual and power sweepers and power blowers as assigned.
• Shovel, plow and sand walks and steps as directed.
• Trim areas around buildings and grounds using push lawn mower and power trimming equipment.
• Respond to emergency cleanups such as spills; maintain records of observed maintenance, repair needs and safety issues.
• Participate in major summer cleaning projects as assigned.
• Replace light bulbs and fluorescent tubes.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Acts in accordance with the by-laws and policies as set forth by the Owensboro Board of Education, KRS and KAR, and applicable Federal laws and regulations.
• Demonstrates loyalty and dedication to the purposes and goals of the Owensboro Public Schools.
• Reports to work promptly and on a regular basis.
• Meet schedules and timelines.
• Inspect and assure the security of facilities during assigned shifts.
• Perform heavy physical labor.
• Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Indoor, environmentally controlled. Considerable physical activity. Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions. School environment including but not limited to telephones, personal interruptions, background noises and children. Will require working with or near the public, parents, and with children and will be subject to sounds, scents, and other related environmental factors. This position will require dealing with conflict and requires use of sound judgement.
Physical Demands: (example)
• Repetitive movement
• Must be able to kneel, squat, and sit on the floor for long periods of time.
• Must be able to bend at the waist, twist, and turn
• Standing and walking intermittently throughout a typical work day
• Lifting up to and over 50lbs.
• Standing for long periods of time.
• Hand and finger dexterity.
• Bending, pushing, and moving throughout the day.
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy on Classified Evaluation Plan. The evaluation will be conducted by the Principal and Custodial Supervisor.
• Classified salary schedule
• Classified benefits package
• Number of days per year:
• Number of hours per day:
• Classification: Non-exempt
• This posting expires:
• Fiscal Year:
Equal Education and Employment Opportunities M/F/D
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on evaluation of classified personnel. Evaluation will be conducted by the District Athletic Director/Principal.
Primary Location Maintenance Salary Range Per Hour Shift Type Full Time