JOB TITLE: Full-Time School Bus Driver
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Director of Transportation
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Performs intermediate semiskilled human support work in the transportation of pupils to and from school and special events; does related work as required. Work is performed under the regular supervision of the director of transportation and appropriate principals.
• Drives school bus safely along designated routes; picks up and delivers students to/from school.
• Performs pre-trip inspection of school bus.
• Reports operating and equipment deficiencies.
• Washes bus, and cleans bus inside and out.
• Fuels bus as required.
• Obeys all traffic laws and observes mandatory safety regulations for school bus operations.
• Transports only authorized students, school personnel and/or authorized chaperons on special trips.
• Assists student passengers with disabilities to get on and off the bus.
• Communicates an delays or issues along the route.
• Reports all accidents and completes required reports.
• Conducts periodic emergency bus evacuation drills.
• Transports students to special events, extra-curricular trips, athletic trips and field trips.
• Performs duties within designated school(s) and/or other school facilities.
• Records mileage; maintains various records and prepares a variety of reports on activities.
• Ensures passenger safety, maintains discipline on bus, and makes reports and disciplinary referrals as necessary.
• Makes bus available for scheduled maintenance and/or repairs.
• Performs other duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
General knowledge of the problems involved in operating a school bus; general knowledge of the geography of the County and the location of streets; skill in the safe operation of a school bus; ability to detect malfunctioning equipment; ability to assist children using patience and understanding; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school officials, public, associates and students.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or equivalent. Behind-the-wheel training with and without students onboard.
Possession of or ability to acquire a Virginia commercial driver's license with P & S endorsements. Must pass physical examination as prescribed by the Department of Education of the Commonwealth of Virginia (including vision and hearing tests). Must maintain a satisfactory driving record from the Division of Motor Vehicles that meets state requirements and indicates positive driving points. Must complete training that includes driving practice and time in a classroom. Drug and alcohol testing is required, along with random testing.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is medium work requiring the exertion of up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to assist students or move objects. Work requires climbing, stooping, reaching, pushing, pulling, grasping, and repetitive motions. Vocal communication is required for conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly or quickly. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels. Visual acuity is required for operation of motor vehicles or equipment, and observing general surroundings and activities. The worker is subject to outside environmental conditions, noise, vibration, and atmospheric conditions. The worker may be exposed to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment.
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
DISCLAIMER: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required to employees to this job.
Henry County Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location Transportation Salary Range $27,500.00 / Per Year Shift Type Full-Time