The primary purpose is to assist (under professional supervision) in the monitoring and instruction of special education students with a variety of physical, emotional, behavioral, or instructional needs within typical or specialized classroom settings. The employee assists in implementation of instructional, self-help, and behavior management strategies in order to facilitate student success in a variety of settings.
High School diploma or equivalent
48+ hours of study in higher education, Associates Degree or higher, or an academic assessment approved for No Child Left Behind (NCLB)
Previous experience in an educational environment preferred
An Educational Aide Certification is required, but may be applied for once employed
Major Responsibilities and Duties :
• Adapt classroom work/homework under the direction of the teacher for the purpose of providing a method to support and/or reinforce classroom curriculum and instruction.
• Assist teachers in implementing lesson plans and/or developing students’ daily living, behavioral, and educational skills. Follows students’ Individualized Education Plan (IEP).
• Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
• Perform record keeping, data collection, and basic clerical functions for the purpose of supporting the teacher in providing services for students with disabilities.
• Monitor students with specialized needs in less structured environments such as playgrounds, lunch, hall, etc. as needed.
• Help maintain behavior of assigned students. This includes intervening in crisis situations and using appropriately trained and approved methods of de-escalation and/or physical restraint.
• Support social, communication, physical, and behavioral needs of students.
• Assume responsibility for learning and adapting to each student’s special medical, physical, communicative, and emotional needs.
• Assist campus in limited duty assignments related to special education students as directed by campus administrator.
• Adhere to flexible schedule as provided by campus administrator in conjunction with special education teacher.
• Participate in meetings and training sessions as designed by District staff, and as necessary to carry out job responsibilities.
• Regular and consistent attendance.
• Maintain confidentiality.
Equipment Used :
Wheelchair lift, ramps, student adapted equipment, personal computer, copier, and audio/visual equipment.
Mental/Physical/Environmental Demands :
Maintain emotional control under stress in a professional manner.
Frequent standing stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing, and pulling; lifting of students.
Assistance with student hygiene needs may be required.
Intent and Acknowledgment :
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and the responsibilities assigned to this position and are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and skills required.
Primary Location Grapevine Middle Salary Range $110.63 / Per Day Shift Type Full-Time