Director of Purchasing
Looking to be surrounded by remarkable, passionate individuals in your workplace? Tri Pointe Homes is always looking for employees to push our place in the industry forward with a top-tier home buying experience. Building upon the legacy that was established 50 years ago under the name Trendmaker® Homes, Tri Pointe Homes is an award-winning leader in the Dallas-Fort Worth real estate sector.
Tri Pointe Homes Dallas is looking for an innovative and energetic individual to join our talented group as a Director of Purchasing.
Position Highlights: The Director of Purchasing will coordinate all aspects of the purchasing department including budgets, trade partner contracts, bidding, trade partner relationships, cycle time, value engineering, and product development. This position will be responsible for working in collaboration with other team members to help achieve the highest level of performance by developing and implementing fluid and manageable job costing processes and procedures.
• Recruit, hire, evaluate, train, develop and retain productive and highly engaged purchasing department team members.
• Develop positive, teamwork, and achievement-oriented work culture within purchasing team and between departments.
• Models and reinforces actions consistent with the Company’s values, vision, and culture in line with the core leadership competencies listed on the following page(s).
• Ensures understanding and compliance with legal regulations, sales policies, internal control procedures, and practices.
• Work with managers to develop an annual action plan to strengthen the operation's effectiveness and meet with them regularly to assess their progress.
• Conduct reviews and provide performance feedback to all direct reports.
• Provide support, direction, and leadership to team members and assist them with any questions or issues.
• Actively participate in the creation and implementation of the Division Business Plan
• Ensure compliance with Purchasing Policies and Procedures throughout the purchasing department.
• Negotiate and resolve contract changes/issues and price change requests, including effective and good through dates. Communicate product and pricing changes to Construction, Sales, Customer Care, Design Studio, and other team members as appropriate.
• Establish budgets through accurate and detailed estimating of construction plans/drawings. Accurately interpret architectural plans for options and engages in the review/red-lining of all new plans before bidding.
• Work closely with the home office national accounts team to maximize trade relations opportunities.
• Ensure budgets and options are accurate, complete, and in the Company’s purchasing databases (including E-One and other information systems) and communicate changes to leadership promptly.
• Ensure that material takeoffs are correct and complete.
• Set direction on pricing methodology and procedure, reporting system set up, and input requirements.
• Perform cost comparisons and analyses as needed to support Land Acquisition/Due Diligence.
• Conduct, along with Construction and Finance, closed job analysis and report these findings to the leadership.
• Establish and maintain Scope of Work with all trade partners and vendors.
• Establish service level requirements and performance/quality evaluation criteria for building products, trade partners, vendors, and material suppliers.
• Engage in product development and value engineering meetings/initiatives with internal and external partners to ensure cost-effective standard and upgrade options are selected by the community, and continually evaluated for improvements. Keep up with industry trends and researches new ideas while being mindful of the end-user – the homebuyer.
• Continually source new and better products, subcontractors, and material suppliers within and outside the local market and/or at the national level.
• Responsible for the accuracy and completeness of plans and specifications.
• Monitor and report (regularly) on subcontractor and material increases/decreases.
• Monitor and report (regularly) on construction costs by the plan.
• Participate in walkthroughs. Incorporate changes into the plans and specifications. Notify appropriate departments of plans and specification changes.
• Provide and maintain competitive bid and value engineering reports for each trade by the community.
• Develop and oversee effective purchasing (bidding, negotiating, contracting) processes and systems to ensure cost-effective and timely contracting of trade partners while preserving high construction quality standards.
• Follow company expectations and policies on bidding processes, trade partner/vendor selection, business partner relations, and national accounts. Ensure understanding and compliance with company policies and internal control procedures.
• Establish, maintain, and keep current standard operating procedures for the Purchasing Department including each purchasing position.
• Other duties as assigned.
Position Qualifications :
• BA/BS Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
• A minimum of 5 years of related experience; homebuilding purchasing experience preferred.
• Previous leadership experience required.
• Extensive knowledge of the homebuilding construction process.
• Strong PC skills required, with a high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, and MS Outlook), Adobe Pro, and internet-based programs such as Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Prior experience with Corrigo, Enterprise-One/JD Edwards, ShareFile, DocuSign, Envision, and Hyphen Solutions preferred.
• Strong negotiation skills.
• Strong relationship skills.
• Strong self-organization skills
• Strong planning and problem-solving skills.
At Tri Pointe Homes, we are intentional about fostering an environment where you, and all individuals, are encouraged to be their authentic selves. We embrace individuality and strive to be consciously inclusive of different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in every aspect of our business. We believe our company’s strength relies on the diversity of the team and the unique, innovative ideas everyone contributes.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we make employment decisions based on merit and qualifications and are committed to providing equal opportunities for all applicants and employees without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to apply for an open position or to participate in an interview, please let us know.