Medical Director, Quality and Patient Safety
Read what people are saying about working here.
Full Job Description Island Health seeks a part-time Medical Director for the Quality, Safety and Improvement portfolio. This position works in partnership with the Director of Patient Safety, the Director of the Patient Care Quality Office, and the Director of Clinical Risk & Policy Stewardship. This position reports to the Executive Medical Director and Executive Director of Quality, Safety and Improvement. The geographic location for this position is flexible and may be tailored to suit the successful candidate.
The preferred candidate will complete the required hours for this position in non-sequential days, spaced during the week for optimal team access. i.e. Monday and Thursday, Tuesday and Friday
• Works in partnership with the Directors and Managers in Patient Safety, PCQO and Risk Management programs in a co-management model to advance the goals of the portfolio.
• Provides active overall medical leadership, direction and oversight, and escalation processes for the Patient Safety Learning System (PSLS), the Patient Safety Consultant team, the Patient Care Quality Office (PCQO), and Clinical Risk Management & Policy Stewardship Office.
• Responsible for working with medical staff and others from across the organization on the whole range of quality and patient safety matters, including those arising through the Quality Operations Council (QOC), and through the Health Authority Medical Quality Committee (HAMQC).
• Delegate for the Executive Medical Director for Quality, Safety and Improvement.
• Provides leadership related to medical staff issues as they contribute to quality, safety and improvement work at Island Health through direct liaison with medical staff and medical leadership including collaboration with EMSS.
• Participates actively in, and contributes directly to the leadership, team culture and direction of Quality, Safety and Improvement.
• Identifies and implements strategic and operational changes for the efficient operation of the portfolio
Ensures services of the program are:
• Aligned with Island Health strategic goals and objectives.
• Benchmarked and measurable to ensure movement towards a goal.
• Effectively communicated to all stakeholders.
• Integrated within and across programs and geographies.
• Delivered in an effective and efficient manner with regular and responsive availability.
1. Program Management
• Strengthen the development, acquisition and diffusion of knowledge within the program.
• In partnership with the Directors:
• Participate in strategic and operational planning, aligned with the Island Health Strategic Plan, goals and objectives.
• Support the development and implementation of key priorities for the Patient Safety, PCQO, and Clinical Risk programs.
• Provide support and leadership to clinical teams when faced with complex clinical risk management events or situations, including Adult Guardianship dilemmas.
• Work in partnership with Integrated Health Services medical leaders to support quality and patient safety in accordance with the Mission, Vision, Values and Care Philosophy of Island Health.
• Liaise regularly with medical leaders to facilitate the standardization and coordination of quality activities across the health authority.
• Ensure collection and interpretation of data for planning purposes.
• Establish and monitor program objectives and outcome measures.
• Evaluate and when necessary propose expanded and/or new program development.
• Develop, implement and monitor program policies and practice protocols.
• Support an integrated approach to Island-wide medical departments.
• Promote patient involvement in quality and safety initiatives.
2. Quality Assurance
• Provide leadership to support the implementation and integration of Patient Safety Incident Management Framework to support organizational and medical quality activities, and ensure that recommendations from reviews are appropriately communicated and disseminated to facilitate system improvement.
• Provides medical leadership for and active engagement in care quality reviews initiated through the Patient Care Quality Office.
• Provides medical leadership for and active engagement in patient safety reviews initiated through the PSLS system.
3. Medical Staff Organization Functions
• Participate on relevant committees, as required and agreed to in discussion with the Executive Medical Director.
• Provide support for physician leads in quality and safety initiatives within the Quality Structures framework with a focus on PSLS, Patient Safety, PCQO, and Clinical Risk, including Adult Guardianship.
• Liaise directly and efficiently with Medical Affairs in quality and safety initiatives involving medical staff and their practices or attributes
• Assist with the development, implementation and maintenance of the physician resource plan including participation in the recruitment, orientation and staff development of medical team members.
• Provide timely performance reviews for direct reports where applicable.
• In discussion with the Executive Medical Director develop and review yearly performance targets.
4. Medical Education and Academic Development
• Support Island Health Medical Education activities including the Island Medical Program, UBC and UVIC to advance under- and post-graduate medical education.
• Facilitate opportunities for physicians and other quality experts to participate in teaching where the opportunity affords itself.
• Support CME activity with the portfolio and ensure that it is provided in a manner that supports professional development and focuses upon educational priorities as defined by the best practices and quality improvement opportunities.
Community Information : The geographic location for this position is flexible.