12/12/2021 (7:00 PM EST)
Correctional Farm Ops Tech Advisor
Pay Grade 12
EXECUTIVE BRANCH | FULL TIME ELIGIBLE FOR OVERTIME PAY | 18A | 40.0 HR/WK
Justice & Public Safety Cabinet | Department of Corrections
Western Kentucky Correctional Complex
374 New Bethel Church Rd
Fredonia KY 42411 USA
The Kentucky Department of Corrections (DOC), Division of Adult Institutions operates 13 correctional facilities that house Kentucky's adult inmate population. The mission of DOC is to protect the citizens of the Commonwealth and to provide a safe, secure and humane environment for staff and offenders in carrying out the mandates of the legislative and judicial processes; and, to provide opportunities for offenders to acquire skills which facilitate non-criminal behavior.
The Correctional Farm Ops Tech Advisor at Western Kentucky Correctional Complex provides technical assistance regarding farm operations program for the institution.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Responsible for the oversight of the 1,000+ acre farming operation at the institution (WKCC farm includes crops and cattle).
• Provides supervision and technical assistance in planning and assigning acreage for crops.
• Supervises inmates in farm activities (planting, cultivating, harvesting crops, feeding livestock, cleaning out barns, cutting bushes, pulling plants, transplanting seedlings, fence repairs, etc.
• Provide direction to inmates on proper use of farm tools and care of livestock.
• Enforce safety measures.
• Performs calculations of materials needed for farm operations such as fertilizer, chemicals, seed requirements, etc.
EDUCATION: Graduate of a college or university with a bachelor's degree in agriculture or a related field.
EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, OR SKILLS: Three years of agricultural experience.
Substitute EDUCATION for EXPERIENCE: NONE
Substitute EXPERIENCE for EDUCATION: Additional agricultural experience will substitute for the required college on a year-for-year basis.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS (AGE, LICENSURE, REGULATION, ETC.): NONE
May risk injuries associated with working with animals and with farm machinery and tools. Work is performed in all type of weather conditions.
This job has an initial and promotional probationary period of 6 months, except as provided in KRS 18A.111.
If you have questions about this advertisement, please contact Tim East at Tim.East@ky.gov .
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D