Gulf Coast Energy Campaigner
September 27, 2021
Gulf Coast Energy Campaigner
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
$55,000 - $63,000 a year - Full-time
Read what people are saying about working here.
$55,000 - $63,000 a year
Number of hires for this role
• • High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Full Job Description Earthworks’ Gulf Coast Energy Campaigner is responsible for Earthworks’ engagement in campaigns targeting pipelines, export terminals, and associated infrastructure along the Texas Gulf Coast.
This position works closely with Earthworks’ program staff who work to reduce risks to water, health, air and climate from oil and gas production, with our communication, digital and development departments, and will participate in, and help to facilitate, engagement with the national movement to reduce the use of plastics. The ideal candidate will thrive at managing multiple priorities in a dynamic and fast-paced campaigning environment, advancing and empowering leadership from frontline affected communities, and maintaining solid relationships with diverse partners.
• Lead our efforts along the Texas Gulf Coast opposing oil, gas and petrochemical infrastructure projects - with an emphasis on oil and gas export terminals and supporting infrastructure
• Conduct organizing and outreach activities along key pipeline routes and infrastructure facilities, including managing canvass events and community meetings when in-person activities resume
• Support the growth and maintenance of the Permian Gulf Coast Coalition
• Support Optical Gas Imaging (OGI) field work as needed in connection with Texas Gulf Coast oil, gas, and petrochemical facilities at the terminus of proposed pipelines
• Conduct research, develop strategy, and produce materials such as fact sheets to support infrastructure campaigns
• Develop strong, accountable relationships with communities resisting oil and gas and petrochemical infrastructure projects aligned with the principles of environmental justice
• Support public policy campaigns focused on slowing and stopping oil, gas, and petrochemical infrastructure at the state and federal level
• Help serve as a conduit between local and regional campaigns and national and international efforts to stop the expansion of oil and gas
• Amplify needs and stories of impacted communities
• Represent Earthworks at external events, meetings, and public hearings and provide motivation and tools to grassroots constituencies
• Provide written materials and/or verbal communications with individual and institutional donors as needed, with the support of Earthworks’ Development team
• Act as an Earthworks’ media spokesperson for campaigns
• Share organizational responsibilities to maintain a healthy and safe workplace and a positive, anti-racist work culture
• Experience in conducting field-based work and engaging communities;
• At least 3 years experience running advocacy campaigns;
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues on fundraising, communicating, digital organizing, and community relationship building;
• Commitment and experience working with frontline communities and working towards racial justice;
• Demonstrated understanding of grassroots organizing, movement building and tactical escalation;
• Excellent written communications skills and experience with blogging, social media, online membership communication, fundraising proposals, and research projects;
• Excellent oral communication skills and experience with public speaking and facilitating meetings;
• Campaign experience in some or all of the following areas: climate change, petrochemical production, human rights, energy policy, specific fossil fuel sectors, finance, corporate social responsibility;
• Ability to work both on one’s own and under direction as part of a project team.
Management, Hours, & Compensation
The Gulf Coast Energy Campaigner - Texas will report to Earthworks’ Infrastructure and Petrochemicals Campaign Manager and will join our energy program which includes federal policy experts, communications staff, development staff and a field advocate team active in Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Ohio, Pennsylvania and California.
This is a full time, permanent position. The salary for this position is competitive for the small to medium non-profits, ranging from $55-63K depending on experience. We provide a competitive benefits package, including employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance, a focus on work-life balance, and generous holidays and vacation time.
Location, Travel & COVID-19
This Energy Campaigner will ideally be based along the Texas Gulf Coast, and we will prioritize candidates who already have roots in the region. This position will begin as a fully remote position. Eventually, this position will entail frequent travel when public health conditions permit. Earthworks’ COVID-19 policies prioritize the health and safety of our employees and the need to minimize the public health threat from COVID-19.
Earthworks is a dynamic advocacy organization headquartered in Washington, DC, with a mostly remote workforce of 33 people across 12 states and DC. Earthworks protects communities and the environment from the adverse impacts of fracking and mining. We reform government policies, improve corporate practices, influence investment decisions, and encourage responsible materials sourcing and consumption. We ensure that communities’ voices and concerns are heard in the corridors of power, from the nation’s capital to state houses and legislatures.
Woman-led and multigenerational, we encourage initiative and leadership at all levels. Earthworks welcomes applications from diverse candidates and is an equal-opportunity employer. Earthworks evaluates employees and applicants for employment on merit, competence, and qualifications and does not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, alienage or national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, arrest record, prior military service or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Earthworks is committed to challenging and dismantling systemic oppression. Earthworks’ Board and staff understand that promoting diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) both within and beyond Earthworks is critical to carrying out our mission to protect communities and the environment from the adverse impacts of resource extraction. We understand that our commitment to DEI means a dedication to constant learning and improvement.
How To Apply
Apply online at https://www.careers-page.com/earthworks-2. Please include a cover letter, resume, and 2 short writing samples with your online application.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $55,000.00 - $63,000.00 per year
• 401(k) matching
• Dental insurance
• Health insurance
• Health savings account
• Paid time off
• Vision insurance
• Monday to Friday
• High school or equivalent (Preferred)
• Multiple locations
• Temporarily due to COVID-19
Work Location: Multiple Locations