$26.27 - $32.95 Hourly
Location New Ulm Public Utilities Building, 310 1st North Street, New Ulm, MN
New Ulm, MN
General Description Under the direct supervision of the Power Plant Operator, to operate and maintain all steam generating equipment.
Position will be open until filled. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received.
Essential Functions of the Job / Knowledge, Skills and Abilities ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
• Operates the boilers and related equipment.
• Performs necessary adjustments to automatic equipment.
• Changes over to manual operation, converts to gas operation as required.
• Maintains proper water levels, proper draft settings and firing rates in the boilers.
• Lubricates and maintains all moving equipment properly.
• Assists in the repair and maintenance of boilers, pumps and stokers.
• Performs Power Plant Operator duties when licensed, and as required.
• Provides timely situational reports regarding equipment, repair or maintenance to proper power plant personnel.
• Maintains boiler water quality as required.
• Performs general housekeeping of equipment and work area.
• Assists maintenance personnel as required.
• Adheres to all departmental safety standards and guidelines.
• Attends all required and assigned training and maintains current licenses and certificates as may be required by federal and state regulation and Public Utilities Commission (PUC).
• Records information in the power plant records in compliance with applicable federal and state regulations or as may be required by PUC policy.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSA's) • Strong mechanical ability.
• Ability to perform basic mathematical computations.
• Ability to accurately record and report data.
• Ability to effectively communicate information both orally and in writing.
• Ability to use a personal computer and associated software.
Education and Experience Position requires a high school diploma or equivalent. Must have one year of experience with high pressure steam production and a State of Minnesota First Class Grade "B" Engineer's License preferred. Applicants must have a Second Class Grade "B" Engineer's License and obtain a First Class Grade "B" Engineer's License within 36 months of hire. One year of power plant experience is preferred.
Physical Requirements This work requires the frequent exertion of up to 10 pounds of force and occasional exertion of over 100 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing, frequently requires walking, sitting and tasting or smelling and occasionally requires standing, using hands to finger, handle or feel, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, reaching with hands and arms, pushing or pulling and lifting; work requires close vision, distance vision, ability to adjust focus, depth perception, color perception and peripheral vision; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, using of measuring devices, assembly or fabrication of parts within arms length, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work frequently requires exposure to wet, humid conditions (non-weather), working near moving mechanical parts, working in high, precarious places, exposure to extreme heat (non-weather), exposure to the risk of electrical shock and working with explosives and occasionally requires exposure to fumes or airborne particles, exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals, exposure to vibration and exposure to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment; work is generally in a very loud noise location (e.g. jack hammer work, garbage recycle plant).