Product & Process Quality Engineer, Finishing
April 30, 2021
Product & Process Quality Engineer, Finishing
Function Tech, R&D and Engineering Relocation Available Yes Position Type Full Time
Overview / Job Summary
Commonwealth Rolled Products is a leading manufacturer of Aluminum rolled products for the Automotive, Commercial, and Industrial markets. The Company operates its production facility in Lewisport, KY with the support of an Automotive Innovation Center for R&D, Sales and Field Service in Madison Heights (DET), and Inside Sales in the Cleveland, OH area.
Our Innovation Center is seeking to add a talented Process and Product Quality (PPQ) Engineer, Finishing, to its team in Lewisport, KY. The purpose of this role is to hold, improve and transfer knowledge of processes and quality, responsible for process improvement & assurance, support product implementation, define and start up new investments and processes. The key responsibility is to develop and implement all process and quality settings to ensure a robust process that delivers right first time quality. This role will be assigned to our finishing operation, which contains batch annealing, slitting, leveling, along with tolling operations that include slitting, leveling, blanking and coating.
• Actively participate in maintaining a zero incident safety culture.
• Live and champion the Commonwealth Rolled Products core values; Safety, Integrity, Customer Focus, Ownership, Excellence, and Teamwork.
• Drives the pursuit of a perfect process within their area but not letting perfect delay better. A perfect process produces world classes quality both efficiently and profitably.
• Responsible for the definition of all process settings which must be used to ensure stable and robust quality in efficient processes.
• Identify and lead capability improvement projects.
• Lead major quality improvement projects taking into account safety, costs and environmental constraints, as well as the effects on subsequent installations.
• Support quality and efficiency improvement projects from other departments (production, technical services, six sigma).
• Initiate and verify process changes and validate all process changes within primary assigned installation following MOC and change management.
• Assist production, when necessary, to perform root cause analysis or trouble shooting in a structured way to solve internal and external non conformities.
• Accountable for implementation of corrective actions in relevant processes resulting from claims and non-conformities.
• Partner with production and maintenance in operational area.
• Manage process settings through several hundreds of parameters in department to ensure stable and capable processes.
• Responsible for the setup of a system of process control of all relevant sub processes to ensure stable performance in time.
• Provide second line technical support to several customers, when installation is involved.
• Takes initiative in continuous learning and development within functional area
• Responsible to deliver the input for R&D developments on the industrialization status
• Apply SPC methodology to critical inputs and outputs.
• Provide feedback and coaching to Technicians on operating processes and quality tool utilization.
• Maintain and ensure compliance with inter-departmental quality contracts and specifications.
• Products and materials • General metallurgical knowledge about the products produced in the plant
• Detailed knowledge on thermo-mechanical & physical processing for assigned installations.
• Understanding of quality assurance and systems
• New product implementation
• Support Product Technology or to the R&D implementation department to ensure fast and robust introduction of new specifications or products
• Checks and refreshes the installation bible(s) and capabilities
• Investments • Start up and commissioning support of new installations and processes
• Detects the need for new investments or processes to improve quality or
• Defines process requirements, prepares and follows up the startup of, and verifies results from new investments or
Assigned area systems knowledge:
• • Experience with IBA, Wonderware or other historian systems
• Knowledge of Parsytec, Cognex or equivalent vision system knowledge
• B.S. Engineering degree required
• 3+ years relevant experience
• Has a profound knowledge of all processes of assigned installation - Mechanical & hydraulics, Chemical, Physical, Electrical & controls, Measurement systems, IT platforms (level 1– 3), and Thermo-mechanical processing capabilities.
• Proficient in Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Access),
• Quality assurance and/or quality systems experience
• Six sigma green belt or black belt
• 5+ years relevant experience
• SQL/VBA experience
• Aluminum or steel rolled product experience
• Experience in slitting, leveling, oiling and annealing
• Knowledge and demonstrated use of Quality tools; i.e. 8D, PPS, DMAIC, PDCA, A3, 5S, Value Stream and Cause Mapping, Visual Management, LPA etc.
Commonwealth Rolled Products is an equal opportunity employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Our HR teams will reach out to the applicants who met the qualifications and most closely aligned with requirements of the positions.
APPLY NOW Apply
Email this job to a friend Refer
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Share on your newsfeed
Join Our Talent Network
Not ready to apply? Connect with us to join our Talent Network and stay connected!
Application FAQs Software Powered by iCIMS