April 21, 2021
JOB CLASS CODE: 7941
TITLE: BUS DRIVER
CLASSIFICATION: BUS DRIVER
• High School diploma or GED Certificate.
• Demonstrates competent language skills.
• Has demonstrated ability to work with children.
• Participates in and successfully completes training programs as specified by the Kentucky Department of Education and local district.
• Has successfully completed all training and tests required by state and local boards, and has one year experience in the operation of a motor vehicle.
• Must meet the requirements for a criminal record check and five year driving check as specified by Kentucky state law.
• Has met all state and local physical examination and health requirements.
• Valid Kentucky commercial Class B driver’s license (CDL), including passenger endorsement.
JOB GOAL: To transport students to and from school and on special trips, while operating a school bus in a safe and timely manner.
CRITICAL SKILLS/EXPERTISE REQUIRED:
• Safe driving practices.
• Provisions of the State Motor Vehicle code and Kentucky Administration Regulations applicable to the operation of vehicles transporting students.
• First aid practices.
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS :
• Operate a school bus over designated routes in accordance with time schedules, picking up and discharging students.
• Maintain order and discipline among students while driving a school bus.
• Maintain assigned vehicle in a clean and safe operating condition.
• Recognize equipment malfunctions and take appropriate action.
• Learn designated bus routes including stops and traffic hazards.
• Maintain routine records.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
• Understand and follow oral and written directions.
• Meet schedules and time lines.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Learn, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
• Observe legal and defensive driving practices.
• Assist in loading and unloading handicapped children as necessary.
The driver is responsible to the Principal(s) for time schedules and pupil discipline and responsible to the Transportation Manager for safety, vehicle maintenance and policy procedures. The following are required of the driver:
• Operate the bus and carry out duties on schedule and in a prompt and efficient manner.
• Safely operate the school bus under all varying weather conditions.
• Properly supervise passengers on the bus in accordance with transportation regulations, and with pupil personnel code of conduct.
• Take proper care of the bus and see that it is maintained in safe operation condition.
• Conduct routine required inspections and provide the proper documentation.
• Attend safety meetings and workshops as determined by the Director of Transportation.
• Meet the training requirement set forth in State and district regulations.
• Meet those responsibilities as set forth in the Board’s Handbook for School Bus Drivers, State Board of Education regulations, applicable statutory laws, and directives of the Superintendent of Director of Transportation.
• Perform other duties that may not be specifically covered in this general job description, as assigned by the Director of Transportation and/or his assistant and/or Building Principals.
• Demonstrate a consistent and positive behavior toward students and patrons in order to foster positive public relations.
• Acts in accordance with the by-laws and policies as set forth by the Owensboro Board of Education, KRS and KAR, and applicable Federal laws and regulations.
• Demonstrates loyalty and dedication to the purposes and goals of the Owensboro Public Schools.
Typical outdoor environment and inside bus, exposed to sounds and noise levels that could be distracting or uncomfortable. May be exposed to contaminants and diseases and infections carried by school children. Will be required to work indoors assisting with lunch room duties.
• Exposed to vibration, frequently exposed to fumes, odors or airborne particles, toxins or caustic chemicals.
• Exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, and outside weather conditions year-round.
• Noise level is usually moderate to loud
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy on the Classified Evaluation Plan. The evaluation will be conducted by the Transportation Coordinator and Principal.
Terms of Employment:
• Classified salary schedule
• Classified benefits package
• FLSA Classification: Non-exempt
• 6.5 hours per day
• Hours will be divided between bus monitoring and school aide
• 182 days per year
• School Year:
• This posting will expire:
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are require of the employee for this job. Location, duties, responsibilities may be altered to meet the needs of the district.
Contracts are with the district of Owensboro Public Schools-not with the individual locations. Location assignments are subject to change
Equal Education and Employment Opportunities M/F/D
Primary Location Transportation Salary Range Per Hour Shift Type Full Time