April 21, 2021
At Asahi Kasei we believe anyone can buy equipment or build a facility. It is our diverse team members around the globe who will enable us to develop ideas and technologies and capture the exciting opportunities that lie ahead. We look for candidates with a fresh perspective, people with a wide variety of skills who are creative thinkers, enjoy challenges and are driven to excel. We are currently seeking applications to fill the following job opening at Daramic where we develop and manufacture advanced lead-acid battery separators that are driving innovation in transportation and industrial applications with cars, trucks, forklifts, and golf carts as well as ESS.
This position will lead the Environmental, Safety, and Health (ESH) function at the Daramic Owensboro operation and is responsible for planning, evaluating, implementing, and maintaining workplace ESH programs that are consistent with applicable regulatory and corporate requirements. This position will report to the Plant Manager with a strong matrix reporting to Polypore ESH leadership. The ESH Manager directly supervises one ESH Engineer, Process Safety Management (PSM) Engineer, Safety Technician, and coordinates with other employees and contractors with ESH responsibilities.
• Actively participate as a valued member of the site management team to provide ESH leadership, guidance, and technical support.
• Establish an effective ESH Management System to track, assign, and verify ESH responsibilities that maintain compliance with applicable regulatory and corporate requirements and integrates them into the overall business operation.
• Establish strategic plans and annual ESH goals and objectives to improve overall ESH programs and performance.
• Develop and deploy ESH procedures and training programs to reduce injuries, reduce risk, and maintain compliance with regulatory and corporate requirements.
• Establish and manage annual ESH expense and capital budget plans.
• Oversee a program to ensure proper incident investigation and root-cause analysis of ESH related events, including tracking and closure of identified actions.
• Monitor, measure and communicate ESH performance and trends.
• Influence an ESH “Zero Harm” culture by partnering with site leadership and employees to enhance awareness, attentiveness, and accountability.
• Build and maintain an effective regulatory engagement system to foster positive relationships with federal, state and local regulators.
• Lead and participate in various site project teams.
• Lead deployment of an effective Job Hazard Analysis (JHA), Risk Assessment, and Management of Change process to reduce operational risks and maintain compliance.
• Manage programs to conduct Process Hazard Analysis (PHAs), and facilitate ESH compliance with Process Safety Management (PSM) regulations.
• Manage and maintain compliance with the Title V air quality permit, RCRA, CERCLA, EPCRA, and NPDES storm water and wastewater programs.
• Direct action plans, processes, and procedures to control safety and health, industrial hygiene, medical surveillance, environmental risks.
• Develop and maintain ESH programs consistent with applicable regulatory standards (EPA, OSHA, DOT, etc.).
• Ensure emergency management programs are developed and maintained in a state of readiness for anticipated emergencies including hazard assessments, personnel training, equipment, and alerting systems.
• Lead and participate in ESH inspections, self-assessments, and audits.
• Ensure programs for contractors and construction projects are implemented consistent with company standards, regulatory requirements, and best management practices.
• Communicate and collaborate with other on-site organizations to facilitate joint ESH programs where appropriate.
• Maintain the site ISO 14001 certification and implement action plans to continuously reduce aspects and impacts.
• Coordinate with other functions to ensure the organization successfully implements ESH medical surveillance requirements and manages Worker’s Compensation claims.
• Maintain awareness of federal, state and local environmental, safety, and health regulations, including potential changes that could affect the operation.
• Bachelor’s degree preferably in environmental safety and health, chemistry, engineering, or the physical sciences.
• Six or more years of EHS experience in manufacturing facilities with progressively increasing responsibility.
• Ability to travel up to 10% of time and occasionally flex the work schedule as necessary to oversee project work or engage various work shifts, or to respond to emergency events.
• Demonstrated ability to establish effective workplace relationships and motivate leadership employees to meet ESH objectives.
• Bias for action and ability to lead, motivate and influence others to achieve ESH objectives.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
• Organized and detail oriented.
• Technical writing including development of technical documents, procedures, sampling plans, hazard/job analyses, and training presentations.
• Intermediate level of knowledge using a standard Microsoft desktop applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, & Outlook). Experience with Visio & SharePoint a plus.
• All potential candidates must be authorized to work for any employer in the United States. Employer sponsorship is not available.
Other Preferred Qualifications :
• Prior ESH functional leadership experience.
• Working in a team environment with proven decision making and problem solving skills.
• Prior experience working in a union environment.
• Prior experience managing environmental compliance programs in the State of Kentucky.
• Prior experience managing ESH compliance in a Process Safety Management (PSM) facility.
• Professional environmental or safety certification (CSP, CEP, CHMM, etc.) from a nationally recognized organization.
• Prior experience managing an ISO 14001 Certification.
We believe a diverse workforce is crucial to our growth as a global supplier of advanced materials. Asahi Kasei is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full time