April 21, 2021
Digital Realty supports the data center, colocation and interconnection strategies of customers across the Americas, EMEA and APAC, ranging from cloud and information technology services, communications and social networking to financial services, manufacturing, energy, healthcare and consumer products.
Now is the time to join Digital Realty and be part of the world’s trusted foundation powering digital ambitions to our customers, prospects and partners. Digital Realty’s heritage is understanding a customer’s local to global data center needs to address mixed workloads and densities. Enterprises are adapting IT strategies on-the-fly to meet rapidly evolving demands. As data creation and consumption are increasing, so are the tools, clouds, networks and resources needed to support it. This data gravity effect can lead to global workflow management that isn’t consistent across deployments, only compounding the complexities. As one of the world’s largest data center companies, Digital Realty is seeking motivative and imaginative professions to grow our Enterprise business with collocation and scale offerings combined best in class connectivity, cloud and data centric solutions.
Position: Engineer II
The Engineer II position is a contributing member to the site level Data Center Operations team assigned to one or more of our data center properties reporting directly to the Manager of Facility Engineering. The Engineer II will have experience in mission critical infrastructure, including Generators, UPS Systems, HVAC Systems, Fire/Life Safety Systems, BMS Systems, and CMMS systems. It is expected that the Engineer-II candidate has expertise in either electrical work or mechanical work and it would be expected that he/she would be competent in the area of non expertise. The responsibilities of the Engineer-II are: to contribute to the daily site operation, including creation and modification of site operating procedures, contribute to creation of change management tickets, creation of timely incident reporting, site maintenance and repairs/inspections to help ensure Digital Realty’s data center operations achieve the highest level of availability.
• At least 3 years’ experience in mission critical facilities operating / engineering or equivalent equipment experience including assets associated with mission critical engineering relevant to the specific site. (UPS, HVAC, generators, fire/life safety systems).
• Hands-on electrical or mechanical skill and competence in the area of non-expertise (for example, electrical expertise with mechanical competence, or vice-versa).
• Strong knowledge of various UPS Systems and architectures.
• Strong knowledge of various cooling systems and architectures.
• Strong understanding of infrastructure redundancy configurations and equipment and their risks (N+1, 2N, ATS/ STS, Failover Scenarios)
• Strong knowledge of energy efficiency principals.
• Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills. Ability to respond effectively, verbally in writing to sensitive issues, complex inquiries or complaints.
• Detail Oriented with strong organizational skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook and familiarity with Microsoft Project, Adobe Acrobat, Visio or AutoCad
• Basic understanding of emergency situations and escalation processes.
• Strong understanding of Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS), Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM), and power metering systems
Desired (but not required) Job Skills/Knowledge
• Strong quantitative and qualitative reasoning skills, with demonstrated ability to determine event root causes, performance shortfalls and required corrective actions.
Meets physical demands of the position including:
• Lift and handle up to 50 pounds
• Bend, stoop, and stretch as required for placement and retrieval of network devices, materials, or equipment
• Work under a raised data center floor
• Climb ladders (up to 16 feet) to reach plenum spaces
Keys to Success
• Assist in achieving Five 9’s of Availability for all data center operations
• No human error and/or customer impacting events
• Assist in achieving 100% compliance with all customer SLAs
• 100% compliance to all standard operating procedures
• Internal & external customer communication and relationships maintained to highest standard
• Achieve 100% compliance with internal escalation protocols for all customer impacting events pursuant to Digital Realty’s escalation standards
• 100% compliance with all health & safety standards
• Contributing to creation/execution/closure/storage of change management tickets, MOPs, and Incident reporting
• Gain a complete understanding of the following DLR and site related items:
• Facility layout and operation of MEP systems and the ability to illustrate site specific system one-lines with good accuracy.
• Equipment nomenclature standards and equipment locations
• Facility drawings and equipment specifications
• Equipment sequence of operations (SOO’s), standard operating procedures (SOP’s), and emergency operating procedures (EOP’s).
• Customer SLA’s and engineering specific lease obligations critical to data center operations.
• Facility top 20 EOP’s.
• BMS alarm functionality, alarm escalation/acknowledgement, and ability to extract data and trends
• DLR event management, event escalation, and incident reporting procedures
• Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), including the ability to create, edit, implement, and close change management work orders.
• Create/edit/resolve/close incident reports following a site incident
• Maintenance and Operations Standards
• Digital Realty’s Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety standards
• Gain a complete understanding of all aspects of data center operations including the operation, maintenance and repair of all mission critical equipment and systems supporting a 24x7 data center operation to achieve 100% uptime and 100% compliance with all customer SLAs.
• Supervision of construction activity and installations as required.
• Ability to be the executor in the site specific change management processes including the creation of Method of Procedures (MOPs) for low risk preventative maintenance and repairs as well as the oversight of those maintenances as they are carried out.
• Ability to effectively troubleshoot site mechanical and electrical systems.
• Ability to respond to unplanned events without immediate supervision.
• Ability to efficiently complete rounds/inspections and to detect anomalies during those rounds.
• Develop or improve SOPs for site specific equipment.
• Gain a good understanding and knowledge of the local customers business and datacenter operations
• Support various accreditation initiatives, including, but not limited to, SSAE16, SOC2, ISO 27001, etc. as may be required by Digital Realty.
• Complete DLR Critical Awareness Training
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Digital Realty: Where the cloud lives and business thrives
We built the global standard for technical real estate, developing a unique capability to acquire, manage, and scale data center campuses. Now, Digital Realty is building a unique ecosystem of open solutions that power customer growth through exceptional service on a foundation of unrivaled data center expertise. The new Digital Realty combines unparalleled data center services, carrier-dense interconnection, real estate acumen, and financial strength to create unique power of choice and value when and where our customers need it.
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the digital world
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that become the heart of the internet and cloud, powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and shareholders.
Guide our decisions and actions every day—above all else, we value customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and success.
About Digital Realty
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 2,000 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Digital Realty Trust is committed to employing a diverse workforce. We value and actively seek to recruit, develop and retain people with backgrounds, experiences and perspectives that reflect the full diversity of our society.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.