March 28, 2021
TITLE: GUIDANCE COUNSELOR JOB CODE: 4050
REPORTS TO : Principal
JOB GOAL :
To lead students toward the fulfillment of their potential for intellectual, emotional and psychological growth and maturation.
• Valid Kentucky Certification as Guidance Counselor
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with students with serious school or family problems.
• Evidence of ability to develop and maintain effective working relations with school personnel and parents of students.
• Commitment to participate in professional development activities as required by the school district.
PERFORMANCE AND RESPONSIBILITES :
• Coordinates with other district and school administrators to create a positive, safe, and caring leaning environment.
• Develops and maintains an environment conducive to effectively leading learning within the limits of the resources provided by the district.
• Prepares for meetings and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor.
• Encourages designated employees to set and maintain high standards of job performance.
• Employs a variety of instructional leadership techniques to set and maintain a culture of high performing schools.
• Strives to implement the district’s philosophy of education and instructional goals and objectives.
• Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
• Evaluates the performance of designated employees and provides necessary and appropriate support.
• Maintains complete and accurate records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulation.
• Assists in upholding and enforcing district and school rules, administrative regulations, and Board policies.
• Makes provisions for being available to students and parents for education related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms through appropriate parent teacher conferences.
• Individually and cooperatively supervises pupils in and out of classroom activities during the assigned working day.
• Attends and participates in required meetings and serves on assigned committees.
• Cooperates with other members of the staff in planning instructional goals, objectives, and methods.
• Assists in the selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
• Accepts responsibility for co-curricular activities.
• Abides by the Professional Code of Ethics for Kentucky Certified School Personnel.
• Adheres to the requirements of any District or school employee handbook, Owensboro Board of Education policies, and all applicable laws and regulations.
• Performs all other functions deemed necessary by the immediate supervisor that are reasonable and are covered by local board policy or law.
• Acts in accordance with the by-laws and policies as set forth by the Owensboro Board of Education, KRS and KAR, and applicable Federal laws and regulations.
• Demonstrates loyalty and dedication to the purposes and goals of the Owensboro Public Schools.
Indoor, environmentally controlled. Typical office environment including but not limited to telephones, personal interruptions, background noises. May require working with or near the public, parents, and children and will be subject to sounds, scents, and other related environmental factors. This position will require dealing with conflict and requires use of sound judgement.
Physical Demands: (example)
• Light lifting
• Sitting for long periods of time
• Hand and finger dexterity
• Repetitive movement
• Standing and walking intermittently throughout a typical work day
Travel Requirements: (Frequency and Duration)
• Less than 10% out of district
• Daily as needed within district boundaries
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
• Instructional salary schedule based on rank and experience
• Certified employee with year-to-year contract until continuing contract is granted
• Certified benefits package
• Participates in Kentucky Teacher's Retirement System (KTRS)
• FLSA Classification: Exempt
• Contract Days: 187
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are require of the employee for this job. Location, duties, responsibilities may be altered to meet the needs of the district.
Contracts are with the district of Owensboro Public Schools-not with the individual locations. Location assignments are subject to change.
Equal Education and Employment Opportunities M/F/D
Primary Location Owensboro High School Salary Range Per Year Shift Type Full Time