ESH Manager, Sustainability
February 16, 2021
At Asahi Kasei we believe anyone can buy equipment or build a facility. It is our diverse team members around the globe who will enable us to develop ideas and technologies and capture the exciting opportunities that lie ahead. We look for candidates with a fresh perspective, people with a wide variety of skills who are creative thinkers, enjoy challenges and are driven to excel. We are currently seeking applications to fill the following job opening at Celgard where we develop and manufacture membrane battery separators that are critical components used in lithium-ion batteries for electric drive vehicles (EDVs) and energy storage systems (ESS).
The ESH Manager, Sustainability is a member of the Polypore Corporate ESH team. The team coordinates with location ESH staff to help deliver environmental, health and safety services to our Daramic and Celgard locations globally. Responsibilities will include development, maintenance and deployment of environmental, safety, and sustainability technical programs. This position will act as a subject matter expert for environmental permitting and technical programs and report to the VP, ESH.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Support and coordinate on-site projects to improve environmental, safety and sustainability technical programs.
• Implement corporate programs that track and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, solid wastes, and energy consumption.
• Lead the development, implementation, and maintenance of corporate technical tools that support environmental and sustainability initiatives.
• Participate as an environmental subject matter expert for the internal corporate audits.
• Participate in the development and update of global Corporate ESH Standards.
• Maintain awareness of US and relevant international environmental regulations, and develop programs to ensure communication and compliance actions across the organization.
• Participate in internal assessments to ensure compliance with relevant environmental permits and environmental regulations across the organization.
• Participate in the development of training programs that ensure compliance with regulatory and company requirements.
• Develop and maintain a program that ensures company ESH professionals complete and maintain necessary professional certifications and training qualifications.
Note: this description is intended to provide a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Bachelor’s degree preferably in environmental sciences, chemistry, chemical engineering, or other related the physical sciences.
• Six or more years of ESH experience in manufacturing facilities with progressively increasing responsibility. Application of an EHS Management System and multi-site responsibilities is preferred.
• EMIS application use and implementation experience is preferred.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to communicate effectively to diverse audiences across all levels of a global organization.
• Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate with team members to understand and develop tools and resources for ESH programs.
• Organized, with an attention to detail and accuracy.
• Technical writing including development of technical documents, procedures, and training presentations.
• Prior experience auditing environmental health and safety programs.
• Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel and demonstrated ability with other MS Office applications. Experience with Visio & SharePoint a plus.
• Ability to remain adaptive to a global corporate footprint and flex the work schedule as necessary to oversee project work or engage individuals in various regions.
• All potential candidates must be authorized to work for any employer in the United States. Employer sponsorship is not available.
• Ability to travel on occasion both domestically and globally for training or visiting other company locations (30%).
Work Environment :
• Working within a general office environment 80% of time.
• Standing and walking for up to 20% of the time, the ability to climb ladders and elevated platforms, and walk a manufacturing facility in its entirety.
• Ability to work for periods of time within the manufacturing environment, including areas with hot or cold temperatures and require the use of PPE (respirator, etc.).
• Ability to lift up to 35 pounds and/or force necessary to push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
We believe a diverse workforce is crucial to our growth as a global supplier of advanced materials. Asahi Kasei is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full time