February 11, 2021
2/23/2021 (7:00 PM EST)
Pay Grade 09
EXECUTIVE BRANCH | FULL TIME, ELIGIBLE FOR OVERTIME PAY | 18A | 40.0 HR/WK
Justice & Public Safety Cabinet | Department of Corrections
Western Kentucky Correctional Complex
374 New Bethel Church Rd
Fredonia, KY 42411 USA
Are you ready to Brave the Challenge?
Do you want to kick-start your career in Criminal Justice? Look no further! The Kentucky Department of Corrections is seeking motivated individuals who are up for the challenge.
Correctional Officers fill a critical role within correctional institutions by working together as a team to maintain safety and control of offenders.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Maintains control of the institution to provide safety and security of the facility inmates, staff, and general public by enforcing rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
• Supervises inmate activities in housing units, dining areas, recreation and work areas.
• Attends to the medical, visitation, personal property, and recreational needs of the inmates.
• Inspects and patrols the grounds for contraband, unauthorized personnel, and for other security risks.
• Completes required reports and daily logs.
• Conducts inmate counts, security rounds, and searches.
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
• Strong communication skills
• Observation skills
• Be a team player
• Attention to detail
• Ability to work under pressure
EDUCATION: High school graduate.
EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, OR SKILLS: NONE
Substitute EDUCATION for EXPERIENCE: NONE
Substitute EXPERIENCE for EDUCATION: NONE
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS (AGE, LICENSURE, REGULATION, ETC.): Must be twenty-one years of age.
Work environment is hazardous due to working in a state correctional facility with convicted felons.
This job has an initial and promotional probationary period of 6 months, except as provided in KRS 18A.111.
If you have questions about this advertisement, please contact Regina Moore at Regina.Moore@ky.gov
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D