Social Service Worker I
January 11, 2021
1/23/2021 (7:00 PM EST)
Social Service Worker I
Pay Grade 13
Salary $2,803.72 Monthly
EXECUTIVE BRANCH | FULL TIME ELIGIBLE FOR OVERTIME PAY | 18A | 37.5 HR/WK
Cabinet for Health & Family Services | Dept for Community Based Services
3649 Wathens Crossing
Owensboro KY 42301 USA
The Kentucky Department for Community Based Services (DCBS) is a multi-faceted agency that provides services and program to enhance the self-sufficiency of families; improve safety and permanency for children and vulnerable adults; and , engage families and community partners in a collaborative decision-making process.
DCBS seeks a Social Service Worker I who is driven to succeed in helping people and advance family self-sufficiency. With professionalism and integrity, our agency offers services to families to ensure safe, stable homes for the children of the Commonwealth. The Social Service Worker I is a skilled team member, providing a vital link between the children, families and local community partners. The employee is expected to perform at the highest quality to ensure services to the vulnerable citizens. This is a demanding position that requires maturity, self-discipline and ability to work overtime.
For more information on the Department for Community Based Services, please visit our website at: https://chfs.ky.gov/agencies/dcbs/pages/default.aspx
Career growth is encouraged through training and mentoring. Benefits include health and life insurance, flexible work schedules, paid sick and vacation leave, and retirement benefits.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Investigate allegations of child abuse, neglect, and/or dependency
• Meet with family members to determine the merits of a report of child neglect and/or abuse
• Meet with other interested parties such as school and medical staff in order to gather additional information
• Complete detailed assessments based on the facts obtained during home visits and meetings with interested parties
• Work with families to create a case plan for addressing and correcting issues within the household
• Make referrals to outside community resources to assist the family in overcoming identified barriers and to keep children safe in a permanent home and promote their wellbeing
• Enter case information into the computer
• Complete court reports as needed
• Provide testimony during administrative and judicial hearings
• Work closely with community partners such as law enforcement, school systems, counselors, and shelters
The ideal candidate will have:
• Experience working with families and/or children
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Good time management and organizational skills
• The ability to work well under pressure
• A willingness to work as part of a team
• A valid driver’s license
If you are interested in a challenging, yet rewarding opportunity to make a positive difference in your community, we would love to review your application for a Social Service Worker I with DCBS.
The Cabinet for Health and Family Services (CHFS) participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in U.S. CHFS will only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.
For more information on E-Verify, or if you believe that CHFS has violated its E-Verify responsibilities, please contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) at 888-897-7781 or https://www.e-verify.gov/ .
EDUCATION: Graduate of a college or university with a bachelor's degree in social work, sociology, psychology, marriage and family therapy or a related field.
EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, OR SKILLS: NONE
Substitute EDUCATION for EXPERIENCE: NONE
Substitute EXPERIENCE for EDUCATION: NONE
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS (AGE, LICENSURE, REGULATION, ETC.): If appointed to the Cabinet for Families and Children or to the Department of Juvenile Justice, an employee in this classification must furnish to the appointing authority within one month of appointment documentation that he/she possesses a valid driver's license and must maintain a valid driver's license for the length of employment in this classification
Performs job duties in an office/facility or residential program setting and visits clients and/or families at their residence. Provides emergency services on 24-hour basis, including accepting referrals and completing investigations at any hour without prior warning. As a result of enforced intervention, the worker runs the risk of physical harm.
This job has an initial and promotional probationary period of 9 months, except as provided in KRS 18A.111.
If you have questions about this advertisement, please contact Michelle Baize at MaryM.Baize@ky.gov .
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D