School Secretary I - Elementary
January 7, 2021
JOB CLASS: 7775
JOB TITLE: SCHOOL SECRETARY I - ELEMENTARY
• High school diploma or GED Certificate.
• Two years of increasingly responsible clerical and secretarial experience involving frequent contact with the public.
• Must meet the requirements of a criminal record check as specified by Kentucky state law.
• Must meet health requirements as specified in district personnel policy.
• Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
• Record-keeping techniques.
• Health and safety regulations.
• Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
• Oral and written communication skills.
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
• Telephone techniques and etiquette.
• Basic first aid techniques.
• Operation of standard office machines including computer equipment.
• Perform a wide variety of clerical and secretarial duties to coordinate school office activities and assist the Principal in a variety of administrative tasks.
• Perform public relations and communication services for the Principal.
• Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately.
• Understand and follow oral and written directions.
• Compose correspondence independently.
• Complete work with many interruptions.
• Type at an acceptable rate of speed.
• Work independently with little direction.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
• Learn, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
• Operate a variety of office machines including typewriter, computer terminal, calculator and copiers.
• Understand and work with scope of authority.
• Maintain good public relations with students, parents, teachers and the public.
• Meet schedules and time lines.
• Plan and organize work.
• Train and provide work direction to others.
• Compile and maintain accurate records and prepare reports.
• Work confidentially with discretion.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Administer first aid to ill or injured students.
• Coordinate a variety of office activities to assist the principal with administrative tasks; prepare and accurately maintain a variety of reports, records and files relating to students, staff, budgets, operations and activities.
• Serve as secretary to the principal; compose routine correspondence independently; prepare, type and distribute communications and minutes of meetings; schedule appointments and meetings as requested; receive, open and route mail.
• Train and provide work direction to clerical personnel; monitor work flow and adjust duties to complete assignments in a timely manner.
• Provide information concerning school policies, procedures, actions, activities and schedules as appropriate.
• Collect, compile, organize and record a variety of data related to attendance, enrollment, personnel, payroll, equipment and student activities; prepare and maintain related records, files and logs.
• Collect and account for monies collected in conjunction with school activities; secure monies and process according to established procedures.
• Administer first aid to ill and injured students; contact the nurse, parents or public safety agencies as appropriate.
• Register, release or transfer students; complete enrollment information and database.
• Operate a variety of business equipment including typewriter, calculator, copiers, computer equipment and other school office machines.
• Requisition, receive, store and distribute supplies and office materials, maintain materials and equipment inventory as assigned.
• Provides clerical assistance to faculty and staff as needed.
• Assist in the orientation of new and substitute teachers; provide directions, keys and instructional materials.
• Classified salary schedule
• Classified benefits package
Equal Education and Employment Opportunities M/F/D
Primary Location Foust Elementary School Salary Range Per Hour Shift Type Full Time